Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

gods name - Page 3

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
but i dont tell her she's going to hell or anything.

Do you believe that she is going to Hell?
Is she really your friend?

Ask yourself those questions because if you believe she is going to Hell and she is your friend then you have a responsibility to tell her.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that fnckOff is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i have told her,she is my best friend, i bring her to church with me and i speak when GOD tells my heart to speak and i speak what He tells my heart to speak and in time her ears will hear along with her heart and the angels will rejoice and we will have a party.

"I'd rather be superstitious about jumping jacks than superstitious that I needed to be drunk to do what I needed to do, or that I needed to have a specific pair of underwear on - jumping jacks, you don't need anything. - Gerard Way"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
but i dont tell her she's going to hell or anything.

What makes you so sure that she is going to hell? If she is happy with her religion then why should she change? I've got several jewish friends, but I don't try and convert them or anything like that. If they think that their religion is the best one, then who am i to disagree?
I may not agree with their religion, but I won't try and change their beleifs.

"He who does not question is lost."
 39yrs • M •
If one has faith that theirs is the only right religion then why wouldn't they share it? It is the old story of watching your friend running over a cliff and just saying "well I respect his right to choose his own path". Besides what's wrong with allowing people to consider other options?

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think people should share their religions, but if you're friends with someone, you shouldn't tell them that they're beleiving a complete load of bul***** just becasue you don't happen to agree with their religion. If you're really their friend you should respect their choice.

quote:
It is the old story of watching your friend running over a cliff and just saying "well I respect his right to choose his own path".

It's really not, because deciding whether to let someone jump off a cliff is a life or death decision, and deciding whether to let someone carry on with a different religion than yours is more like deciding whether you want to let someone find their own path to GOD or making them follow yours.

"He who does not question is lost."
 39yrs • M •
quote:
If you're really their friend you should respect their choice.

It is possible to share new ideas while respecting someone's current views.

quote:
more like deciding whether you want to let someone find their own path to GOD or making them follow yours.

That's only assuming that all paths lead to God. But if one honestly believes in one way to God then sharing becomes a matter of life and death.

38yrs • M •
[PU] MinerAce is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I was raised catholic, but i gradually turned away as i grew up. It just never made sense to me. I never felt like i had a good enough reason to devote my life to religion.

My question is aimed at "faithful" people.. At what point do you just accept what people around you tell you as the truth. I mean if you grew up and you were taught that the earth was created by a giant duck... you'd probably believe it because you dont know anything better. I dont mean any disrespect.. i've just always been curious

"Fall down seven times, get up eight"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
At what point do you just accept what people around you tell you as the truth

I never just accept what people tell me is true I went through a whole process of doubt before events pointed me in the only logical direction.

38yrs • M •
[PU] MinerAce is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
but you have to admit that you didnt make up the concept of god yourself... you inherited it from the previous generation

39yrs • M •
True just as they inherited it as did the generation before them. The point is that none of it was accepted based on words but rather by experiences.

38yrs • M •
i guess my biggest problem was that i never felt the "experiences" you talk about.. my aunt had cancer and she ended up living for a couple more years than the doctors predicted... but i never saw god in that... i just saw nature... just curious as to what experiences you are talking about... again no disrespect intended

39yrs • M •
Are you being receptive to such experiences? Did your aunt make any significant accomplishments during those years?

My most significant experience is as stated below
I was in the habit of cutting myself and watching the blood flow. And I had a knife that I always kept in my desk drawer, I had used it earlier that night so I knew for certain where it was when I got some particularly bad news Anyways I decided that that night was a good night to die so I wrote a quick note and went for my knife. To my surprise and great confusion it was not there, nor anywhere else in my room. So after I had searched up and down for it I became incredibly tired and just went to sleep. When I awoke I had the urge to look in my drawer and there was the knife as though it had never moved. There was something very significant about that event and I have never come close to attempting suicide since. I did not attribute it to God until much later though. It took many years of more subtle events to get me to really find God.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have an interesting thing that I'm entertaining.

In the world of reality I don't think you could ever describe through language what God is because language is made by humans and it is inevitably flawed.

However, in the world of language (note this is not reality) could the definition of God be:

Absolute knowledge?

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
Naturally there is a lack of words to properly describe God. But there are enough words to get the picture. Because if this were not so then God would simply be impossible to know.

That would be a simplistic definition because it only covers one aspect of who and what God is.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If everything was know...absolutely everything...what else could God be? Its simplistic...but is it not the most truthful defintion we have at the moment?

""No words""
gods name - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy