Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Pentecostalism

User Thread
 44yrs • F •
Chellame is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Pentecostalism
Pentecostalism has become the largest and fastest growing segment of Christianity in the world, so what is it and what do they believe? They seem to be absolute in what they do and don't believe in, yet I'm confused of what they do and don't believe in. Why is it growing so fast, some reason? Can someone tell me a little more on what Pentecostals believe in?

56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From what I know...they scream out, and speak 'tongues' and they holler and shout.

It's a physical thing, to bring them 'spiritual.'

That's the extent..but here is a link.

http://www.probe.org/docs/e-upc.html

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cantersha is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the Pentecostal church can come off as crazy and a little foolish but the teachings of christ are well gronded in many of their shouting and waving because it is written

1 Corinthians 12:28 - And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of TONGUES.

"your only poor when you compare yourself with the man down the street."
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that May Day is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I stumbled upon a Pentecostal church (a family friend went to it and told me it was nondenominational) and actually went to it for a while.

This church is fairly low on the tongue speaking. I've never heard the church members speaking in tongues. It's mainly the pastor. The thing that they do that sort of gets to me is the sort of exorcizing the demons thing they do. The priest will put his finger to people's temples and say prayers.

They also have girls waving flags. That may just be a personal touch.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Speaking in tongues, what is that mean? Define

quote:
That's the extent..but here is a link.
"Is the United Pentecostal Church a Cult?"
Is the United Pentecostal Church a cult, theologically speaking? And if so, why? What do they believe?

The doctrine of the UPC is definitely heretical; they deny the Trinity in favor of what is called the "oneness" doctrine. Heresy makes groups a cult. Here's a good article on that from Watchman Fellowship: www.watchman.org/cults/upc.htm
United Pentecostal Church
Historically, the first great question that came up in the early church had to do with the Person of Christ. Was he just a man - as the ancient heresy of Sabellianism taught - or was he the "theoanthropos," the God-man that the Bible declares as the second person of the Trinity?

From its inception in 1913 through John D. Schaefe, an immigrant to the United States from Danzing, Germany, it has been called the "Jesus Only" or "Oneness" movement.
In 1985 on the John Ankerburg Show, Rev. Nathaniel Urshan in speaking for
the United Pentecostal Church and responding to Cal Beisner and Dr. Walter Martin, said
"We do not believe in a three-person Trinity,
we believe that Jesus Christ was [is] God manifest in the flesh.

In your belief system, who or what is the Holy Spirit? As the bible states that GOD is a spirit, why give it a second personification? Perhaps the Holy Spirit is the spiritual essence of GOD's Holy One? [Jesus whom you call Christ]

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cantersha is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
but there are some denominations that do belive in the Trinity and still speak in tongues.

"your only poor when you compare yourself with the man down the street."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this was put forth in another thread but the original command to go forth & witness the Truth Of GOD => a being (perhaps the highest form of life) exists a spiritual being without out physical form but a definite (personality) person.
The axiom being that those who truthfully worship God, seek GOD => the True God doesn't change form just man's perception of the form.
Man's need to give form to GOD, is it his need to comprehend or is it his desire to be [treated as] God?
quote:
A Wise Christian once taught me, All gifts of the Spirit come from GOD; To be used to serve GOD.
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/frmid=17-u-thrdid=43535
You are judged by that which you judge; man makes distinction between worship & service so It is put forth in the Two Commandments . . . 1) To GOD's glory 2) do you serve [share with] each other. That the workman is worthy his wage [share] to meet the need; not the greed.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
Pentecostalism
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy