You must empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water (Bruce Lee) - Ambition
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

A Little Quiz - Page 2

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the Gnat
Interesting points, leftwood. don't knowmuch of pagan religions, a little of celtic & native traditions.
Celtic traditions hold the moon =>feminine, not the sun => masculine. As farmers marked the change of seasons.
quote:
[winter => spring] when the birth of the sun => lengthening of daylight
By putting Christ-mass at the same time of the pagan festival prevented converts to backslide by occuping that time with their own. At least that is my understanding.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"The truth is there is no person from antiquity that is more verifiable with both primary and secondary sources as Jesus. He far surpasses Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, etc. Any historian well tell you how important this is in establishing the credentials of a person long dead. "

I wanted to remark on this before, because as a matter of fact I've heard just the opposite from researches as well, that he is of the least verifiable and that very important and known writers with surviving writings never made the slighest mention. And that the biggest confusion on the point is probably the fact that the existing corroborative writings are by people who never lived during the days of jesus, do we even know the exact dates? I know the calendar has issues, let alone met him to confirm his existance.

Forgive me for questioning the historical accuracy of a book that has frogs as a possible weather forecast.

But again, I'm just relaying information that exists and contradicts popular "belief" or record on such issues. And again emphasize that I never met him and don't know if he existed, Santa I can't be so sure of, though I've heard he exists and doesn't, I've met lots of those.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
Forgive me for questioning the historical accuracy of a book that has frogs as a possible weather forecast.

Don't particularly know that one but birds of feathers & flight seem to be more aware of subtle changes of pressure so I suppose tree frogs may be more aware of moisture content?
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=22639-u-frmid=17-u-page=4

the camel
PS: Jesus is called Lord because He is the Lord [master] of those who are Christians. GOD is the Lord in Heaven, Christ is Lord of this world. As O.T., states Jews wanted a king [Lord] like those nations around them. GOD gave them one but told them it was to their error.
Kings were accepted as earthly gods who ruled by divine right as decedents of the gods. Jesus lead but kings lorded over their subjects. This attitude [spirit] was passed down as a man's home is his castle establishing the right of the Lord to do according to his will, subjecting upon others [family] as his slaves or servants.

46yrs • M
Raining frogs.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 72yrs • M •
As it is written that they choke on gnats but will swallow camels wholely =>holy.
I need to check reference will get back with you about the raining frogs.I see your point & must admit you are correct.
Jesus never existed & Christianity is nothing but a lie. Afterall, I choose not to kill others. Not because of some commandment of a mythical being but because I choose not to kill. This nation [these people] have murder others to steal from them, I choose not to do these things. So I choose not to live as they do because to accept their ways would onlly justify them in my own life. The only reason I am here now is they stole my son & as I told my exwife they would kill me just as they did my friend if I had tried to leave. http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=41826-u-frmid=26
Such a perverse people that they hold children hostage to force their ways upon others. Who in their right mind would want to be party to such things? Life is hell because they have made it so but going along withit isn't going to change it so what do you do?
For me, I live my life as best I can, try to comfort those they have so cruelly abused as I & my son have been abused, try to love others that they may know love, seeking what happiness I may find in life & sharing it with others.
But I would be lying if I were to say that belief in GOD was not a factor in forming the choices I made.

72yrs • M •
As to the rain frogs, I am still a little fuzzy about what is being asked? So I would say from other post you are pointing out those violent actions of GOD toward Pagan worship? Or are you questioning their pagan beliefs?

46yrs • M
The frogs is a passage from the bible, it rained frogs and I'm pointing out that that is reason to question its validity. It was a statement wrapped in sarcasm.

And I question everyone's beliefs.

[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 72yrs • M •
quote:
a passage from the bible
Actually it doesn't state that at all. But it is an excellent choice to your point.
[Exodus 8] Actually the fullness of it begins in Genesis.
Joseph & the rainbow rob. Because of his father's favor upon him (youngest son), his older brothers sell him into slavery.
[Gen. 41] Joseph in Egypt is brought before the Pharaoh to interpet a dream but he was first reveal the dream before interpeting it. the dreams interpetation brings great wealth on Egypt. Pharaoh (a god) ruling brings Israel into the land.
Because of Joseph interpetations, they are well recieved but as time passes (400 years). They have fallen into disfavor & become slaves. Moses is sent to the Pharaoh seeking that Israel should be allowed to go 3 days into the wild where they are to worship GOD & the request is refused.
When Moses uses his staff (rod) to touch the waters of the Nile, they run red (blood) & fish die. This leads to a plague of frogs. In fact one could plausable explanation for all these events => GOD works within His natural laws. But Pharaoh of Moses time knows well the history of His fathers & therefore knows of Israel's GOD but denys GOD's existence.
quote:
footnote: the goddess Heket (the spouse of the god Khnum, who is depicted in the form of a woman with a frogs head was held to blow the breathe of life into the nostriles of the bodies that her husband fashioned on his potter's wheel from the dust of the earth.
This should be enlightening to some in another thread.
question as you may, what is it to me?

46yrs • M
"Exodus 8:2 reads: "And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs".

This is the closest thing I've found on the point, and seems to be the source of the quote.

It is apparently a debate inflamed by the movie "Magnolia" which I have never seen, I heard of this long long ago (long before even the existance of "Magnolia" and remember it because it stuck in my head as quite silly.

But any miracle claimed within the bible is cause for a question of validity. As such claims are common all througout history and modern day, most of which are laughed at, I simply apply the same logic as so many believers will do when they question the validity of another's claim.

Like I've said before as well, if you were to only watch the 700 Club, you would think that miracles of biblical proportions are in excess as well as direct conversations with God and apparitions of Jesus and Mary etc.

72yrs • M •
quote:
In fact one could plausable explanation for all these events =>as GOD works within His natural laws.

Went to a gathering a while back. Looking for their site, I stopped where some vehicles were parked. Walked a couple of miles back to their camp but no one was to be found so I trekked back. As I neared the end (where they were parked) I started down to a lake & heard sounds. Afamily of otters were swimming there so I went on for my camera & returned.
I was there for awhile but when I started to leave, I found some of those whose camp I had trailed them to earlier. they had returned with supplies & where heavy ladden. So I help porter the load. I mentioned the otters, they spoke of seeing bear sign & showed me a track in the sand.
Now it is well known to find bears treed in populated area around there. Of course they could have decieved me with false footprints in the sand but had I come upon the bear I would probable had a much stronger feeling about His Presence there.
PS
quote:
Seems like he would be kind of a jolly fella to me.

If you mean the fat jolly fellow (statues) I believe that is the chinese god of happiness, not bhudda?
700 Club?

36yrs • M •
dying_pride is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
hey
leftwood
if u don't believe in jesus
that's ok
religion is private and country is public
keep ur religion or whutever beliefs u believe in for urself and
let others believe in wutever they believe

"**it is not enough to conquer one must learn to seduce**"
 46yrs • M
You speak as though I control what others believe, I do not, as for speaking my opinion and questioning people about their beliefs, I will gladly continue to do so, if people are not willing to answer my questions that is up to them, and if they are not able to answer my questions, such as why do you believe what you believe, then perhaps they need to be taking a harder look at what they believe.

Unfortunately religion is not simply private, its political and one of the biggest ideological driving forces influencing people's actions and judgements of others, as well as affecting laws that force moral opinions on others and criminalize those who disagree. There is nothing private about that.

Thanks for you input.

And remember this is a public debate forum, not a private thought censorship area. Don't ask people to keep things to themselves unless it is violent or rediculously unproductive.

72yrs • M •
quote:
keep ur religion or whutever beliefs u believe
lefty belief is in man's intelligence & his faith is that man will by some stroke of luck or genius will continue to survive.
That is his religion and he has the same rights to promote it as any other religious belief.

46yrs • M
"keep ur religion or whutever beliefs u believe in for urself and
let others believe in wutever they believe"

Pehaps you should tell that to those following faiths who demand their followers to convert as many people as possible to save them from eternal hell.

72yrs • M •
quote:
But any miracle claimed within the bible is cause for a question of validity. As such claims are common all througout history and modern day, most of which are laughed at, I simply apply the same logic as so many believers will do when they question the validity of another's claim.

quote:
Like I've said before as well, if you were to only watch the 700 Club, you would think that miracles of biblical proportions are in excess as well as direct conversations with God and apparitions of Jesus and Mary etc.
Knowing your disbelief I doubt that you spend much time watching the 700 club. But if you were read the NT, you would find that Jesus never taught the disciples (anyone) to force acceptance of His Teaching. IN fact, They were told to go first to the Jewish Temple & teach, if they accepted it fine but if & when they didn't, they were to go to the Gentiles to teach.
If They accepted great if not they were to leave, knocking the dust (symbolic) off their feet. Christ and His disciples never taught violence in any way, shape or form.
Jesus made a whip of a chord & whipped those who had set up concession stands in Temple, His only recorded act of violence. As this act was against those who sought to gain worldly wealth from those who came to worship GOD, this was justifiable in their eyes.

A Little Quiz - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy