Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

populations in ecosystems

User Thread
 19yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that fireflys is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
in my 9th grade Biology class this year we learned about populations of species and their interactions with each other. well after learning about it, i have come to realize that the human race is about to face a drastic decline in its population.

first i should explain to you what happens with animals such as owls. say there was a population of owls in a forest. well when the owls first get there the population will grow because there are alot of mice to eat there do to the fact that no other owls have been eating them. but after most of the mice are eaten, owls will start to die. the population will fall because there were more owls than there were mice. then, the mice population will grow because there were less owls around to eat them. then the owl population will grow again because there are so many mice......this cycle of growing and decreasing populations will continue until the mice and owls are about even. there are enough mice for the owls, but less owls so the mice can breed.

the population of any species will increase and decrease kind of like a wooden roller coaster. at times the population will be high, and at others, due to disease, competition with species, famine, and a small habitat, the population will decrease. this was presented during the plague when 3/4 of Europe's population was destroyed. well, since then the population grew immensly. we are at the top of our roller coaster hill. now is the time when we start to take the plunge. not for good of course. after our population drops again it will rise again. but this time will be greater than the last. more people will die only because of less resources and more wars.

someone once said "I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with bows and arrows." i completely agree. only i do know what World War 3 will be fought with. i see the weapons every day. i see them in school, on T.V., at the grocery store, over seas, in my home. these weapons are different to everyone but to me they are greed.

"Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i don't agree with your quote.. treat everyone with respect

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 19yrs • F •
i'm sorry i didnt mean any disrespect. i didn't mean for it to come across that way. i give people alot of respect. probably more than they deserve. but i also tell what i see. i explain what goes on and how people act. this isn't my opinion it's fact. greed is one of the biggest problems not just in humans but in all living creatures. we could never live with out it. i am just trying to show how humans are animals too. the only difference is that humans adapt the world to them instead of adapting to the world.

59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would like to point out a hole in your theory if I may, the human animal does not populate all that much of the earth's surface, we tend to be a pack animal, and cluster in large groups. As oil prices soar, our pollution rates will go down, as alternative fuels and power sources are finally given the research time and money they need.

Plus, before we would reach a critical mass for the planet, we would have expanded into the solar system. There is already serious discussion of terraforming Mars, for example.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 37yrs • M •
haha when i said i don't agree with "YOU'R QUOTE" i meant the one that says "Treat your friends as if they may one day be enemies. Treat your enemies as if they may one day be friends."

this is why i said to treat everyone with respect

19yrs • F •
oh. haha. sorry. too many quotes on this site.

anyways.....where do you propose we will ever get the money to research new methods of obtaining energy or move into the solar system? we barely have enough money for people to be fed on this planet. moving into the solar system any time soon would be a huge mistake. i don't think any human is stupid enough to do that yet. and by the time we are ready to move into the solar system, we will in fact be fighting with bows and arrows again. that or we won't exist at all.

37yrs • M •
the end is coming soon according to what I read, from other people, who read the bible.. lol

they say, that the prophecy's say, that there are going to be 112 popes before the end and the 110th pope just died..

according to this we won't have enough time to come up with the technology to civilize mars..

but fireflys i think eventually at some point if life on earth does last long we will end up killing ourselves someway or another....

civilizing mars is way out there..

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ikiris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Personally I think the world has already started going downhill, and that we are going to have some major problems soon. Oil is going up in price, more and more people starving, more disease and war. Though I do think humans now would be capable of going to mars, It won't happen. No countries are going to get along long enough and be generous enough to put up money for that kind of thing. I don't see how that would help anyway. Many people in the world don't have food or healthcare, whats going to mars gonna do to help them? Mankind is probably going to drop in population soon either way, only question is if it's going to be because of nature or something we ourselves did.

"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun! - Ash"
 37yrs • M •
not all humans will die.. but the ones who do die will be caused by a combination of both..

[  Edited by analytical29 at   ]
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hahahahaha......that really sucks doesn't it....it's funny tho... knowing i'm gonna die is freakin hilarious....mankind has destroyed itself......the collective understanding of greed is what killed us.....and when an alternate understanding is grasped it's exploited...so there will never be balance until man is selfless and spiritually free..........lmao....this shit's funny!

"Being is not knowing!"
 37yrs • M •
i dont understand what is so funny 730?

38yrs • M •
^^the joke cannot be understood...will never be understood, as yet I don't even know the reason for all this laughter... but the mere contradiction that man has placed between life and death is amusing to me........the regret that's on his heart is sad, yet amusing to me..because it's so simple to let it go...yet everybody wants to make it 'better'.....making it better is doing nothing...the process of life is ever correcting itself..... sometimes you need to stop wanting to make a difference so much and live your life different!....... I guess I'm a crazy dude tho....hahahahahahaha....... shit there's nothing to do but laugh my ass off.....hahahahhaha Life...armageddon....hahahahahaha... the order of chaos is so beautiful....

"Being is not knowing!"
 38yrs • M •
Notice i'm not talking about chaos pertaining to the loss of life.. but the chaos of confusion!...

"Being is not knowing!"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy