Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Virtual Reality Technology

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I was wondering if you guys were curious or had any good info on VR technology

I've been doing some thinking again about this, before it was just an annoyance, now I'm down right curious.

Here's and article from 1991, with a cameo from Al Gore no less.

http://www.cyberedge.com/3a3_910731_a.html

This really got me thinking more.

I'm a big fan of movies, video games, and man's ability to create this, well, virtual reality.

I was pretty intrigued when I first starting hearing about it in the early 90's. Then there were movies like the Lawnmower Man and Virtuosity which were decent films even. And then like many others I saw in line, I saw in a Mall the virtual reality video game and played it and was rather impressed given video game tech at the time. We're talking pre-Playstation Sega Genisis and Super Nintendo days still, a little fancy Neo Geo and what not. But nothing special besides the buddings of the fastest growing media super giant industries of today.

Which also means that there is a lot of money and push for development on this stuff, and when language like that found in this article shows the governments interest we know people are putting some serious time and effort into it.

So my burning question is, why in 15 YEARS!!! Has the biggest development in it that I've been aware of been, not technology, but a movie, The Matrix?

Has anyone else felt cheated on some cool stuff, I've been waiting for the reemergence of some serious VR for some time now.

I don't know if I've even heard anyone talk about it, but I'd love to be able to have an optional matrix, meaning not a forced slave system of such crazy proportions and war situations, but a system where perhaps even when we sleep we hook up to provide energy or digital tasks as a job, getting paid to sleep has always appealed to me.

But to have access to a world reminicent of the Star Trek Holodec, now I know I've heard wishful thinking there, but a matrix system with programmable physics and what not. Mind you its not necessary to have a rail-road spike in your head for what I'm talking about.

As we speak more developments have been made with human brain computer interface systems, some invasive some not.

They can read your mind. Soon they'll learn how to decode the info if they can't already, who knows what the military has cooked up.

Mix this with developments in nano tech and this virtual reality isn't going to be so virtual. Constructing real objects with nano machines out of molecules, we're talking Star Trek Next Generation food processor type stuff, seemingly out of thin air, build stuff, anything. Metal composits unheard of, living organic material etc.

This includes of course unimaginable nano weapons. I don't even want to go there.

But I was wondering if you guys were curious or had any good info on VR technology, think I'll paste this at the top, got kinda long.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy