Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero (Seize the day with little trust in the future) - Horace
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What's wrong with the world? How do we change - Page 6

User Thread
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Are you two retards?

You need a solid foundation to be accepted in the political arena, you think any company in this country or elsewhere is going to hire you if you don't have a solid background in your education for it? (I mean, I'm talking white collar jobs, not your everyday shitty ass blue collar ones).

Fuck Jesus, it's people like you that make the world more difficult while sitting around praising some dead prophet to help progress our peace. Try learning what consociate democracy is, or pick up the latest issue of Foreign Policy and see if you can figure out half the shit they're talking about. If you can't, I suggest you go back to college and get your literacy levels up to par.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You need a voice to be accepted in the political arena, a voice with lots of money. Don't think that an education will do anything for you unless you have the cash to back it up.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Where the hell do you think money comes from?
Networking?
Money sure does say a lot, apparently you haven't learned how it works. Do you not have a college degree and you're some Senator in the US Congress? No? What about Kofi Annan, are you someone like him but you didn't happen to get your degree? I didn't think so.

You have to be qualified - have you looked for a job lately, they want a BASE of master's degrees for any job that will get you over 25k, unless you start your own business or something. You want to be a shitty nurse with overworked hours, you still have to take classes and exams to get there. I'm working towards a BACHELOR'S in Nursing and that in itself is a full time job on campus, plus towards a master's degree in International Relations. Check out organizations online and see if they'd hire you without credentials and a college degree.

Prove to me what you keep saying about money growing that easily out of people's asses. There is no successful world leader that does not have some sort of higher education.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Where the hell do you think money comes from?

Organized crime of course. Or did you think good hard work will get you there? I guess all Americans voted for Bush because he has a degree and that Kerry guy obviously doesn't.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
[  Edited by etherealmeekle at   ]
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
One question:
Is our education making the world better?

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im not sure education is making the world that much better, if any. there are upsides and downsides to everything the human race has learnt. eg new tech means jobs done faster, but usually environmental polution.

but i want to go off in a completely different direction. i think the biggest problem is one that was lightly touched upon earlier, and that is differences. Everyone tries to compartmentalise themselves and those around them, and therefore fails to realise that to all extents and purposes we're the same, and that no-one is more priveliged than anyone else. if we all accept that then there would be no oppression, the holocaust wouldnt have happened. most of the major problems occur due to someone thinking that different from themselves means inferoir. it can be race, religion, political allegiance. y does no-one realise that different just means different?

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 42yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Poprocks is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No Pete, our education make competitive coldblooded assholes, so to speak.

""Be the change you want to see in the world ". Mahatma Gandhi"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TRANCEND is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
NO, IT'S NOT EDUCATION THAT MAKES THE WORLD WORSE. IT'S NOT EVIL AND CORRUPTION, IT'S HUMAN NATURE. EDUCATION IS TO GET BETTER JOBS,AND HOW DO MOST PEOPLE DEFINE A GOOD JOB? GOOD MONEY, OR EVIL MONEY I SHOULD SAY. BUT GETTING ALOT OF MONEY IS MAKING ALOT OF PROFIT, AND ALL THAT PROFIT IS, IS EXTRA MONEY YOU GET FROM YOUR TRANSACTION OF SPECIALIZATION, OR JOB OR BASICALLY AN UNEQUAL TRANSACTION, FOR IT TO BE EQUAL THE MONEY YOU EARN WOULD GO HAND IN HAND WITH YOUR SERVICES OR WHATEVER IT IS THAT YOU DO. NO PROFIT, NO LOSS. SO IN ORDER TO BE WHAT SOCIETY CONSIDERS SUCCESFUL, YOU MUST SIMPLY STEP ALL OVER THE COMPETITION AND RIP THEM OFF AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

"\WHEN YOU CANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
 40yrs • M •
Wolf_22 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I came to this website from a Google search. Yes, like most other people who seem distressed about our world, my search term was "what's wrong with the world today?". After hitting the enter key, I discovered this thread from the 4th resulting query link. After reading the heading of the thread and reading a few responses, I thought I would also chime in on my opinion / view in spite of this entire discussion being about 2 - 3 years old. Ha!

I currently live over in Terre Haute, Indiana--this is basically my hometown. I was living up in Fishers, Indiana (northwest of Indianapolis) about a year ago as I was a programmer analyst for Sallie Mae. They offered me the job straight out of college as my discipline consists of Information Technology. On a side note: never let some recruiter tell you that a company interested in your classwork can train you in whatever they need you for if you currently have aspirations for something else. I found out a year later that he was wrong because I was terminated. ...It was a blessing, though.

Anyway, moving from Terre Haute to Fishers was such a drastic change for me at the age of 25 that I doubt I can put it in words. For any of you who might have ever went through Terre Haute, you will know that it's basically a big-small town city. What I mean is that it's everything you would come to expect from a homey town in Indiana with it's fair share of run-down places here-and-there. One thing about Terre Haute, though, is that the people here are relatively nice and humble. They show a certain level of respect and remorse for the city's past as this is evident in the "Old Downtown" projects that constantly pop-up. If you know anything about Fishers, you would know that it's a fairly pricey place amongst the other cities / towns of Indiana and you would come to expect more high-class individuals. Well, those expectations quickly turn very sour after living in this city for about 1 year.

People in Fishers are all busy workaholics that are as cold as a witches tit. Few have manners or respect for others and almost all of them have the common selfish agenda when it comes to waging battle within an office. The contrast from Terre Haute to Fishers is amazing...

After going through this experience in my life, I eventually decided to go back to school as I have a grandmother who (lucky for me) can help me with the expenses. I would've preferred to simply find a job I liked and start a career, but after applying to over 100 places upon termination and realizing that anything remotely assuring would pay less than what I get from drawing unemployment, I eventually made the decision to come back and get into a different field.

My trek or experience in all this has led me to believe in the most lonely of ideas man can think about and this especially increased once the women I loved left me for another guy. People nowadays are up against the corners of life. They have no breathing room and they constantly experience turbulence with almost everything their reality brings to them. There's just too much to worry about now.

While there is obviously no one-shot-one-kill solution to the world's problems, I do propose a few treatments that would be bound to fetch positive results. First, we need to somehow regulate population. This is key. If we do not quickly establish some form of management for our exponential increase in population, our problems will just get worse and worse. One way in which we might possibly do this is by allowing vast tax breaks for those who choose to have only 1 child in a family, etc. Something along those lines, that way nobody is necessarily forced to do anything they wish not to do, but yet, the encouragement is still there with positive financial reward.

Secondly, and while I feel further consideration is required to solidify any substantial proof of this next idea that it is worth pursuing, it might be a good approach in our nation to establish national service jobs in whatever ways we can as long as our ambition with these jobs promote the exploration of new power sources. What I am trying to say here is that a national service job that is made for the research and development of something like nuclear fusion or a Dyson Ring would be, without a doubt, a worthy task. While most national service opportunities are created for the bulk creation of whatever goal is in store for the nation (see the Hoover Dam), there can and always will still be ways in which combined labor can assist in the creation of advanced devices, facilities and technologies.

In the end, however, I realize that these suggestions or ideas will prove to be approaches that will never work as we simply struggle with having a black president. Some of us decide to leave relationships once things turn sour after a month; we forget to be tactful when replying to YouTube statements; we steal; we sell / consume drugs; we do stupid things...

The root of all our problems here is as one previously mentioned about the "human condition". Our perspectives are derived from our realities and due to this, our perspectives have no other way of eliciting reactions from our world unless it helps us as we are all animals ourselves. To say that we keep repeating problems just because we're selfish is idiotic, at best. It has nothing to do with good versus evil or being "polite" and "selfless". It has everything to do, however, with being human and being chaotic, unstructured and illogical as our minds imagine new ways of fixing (and causing) problems.

Things will never change with humans, but, there will always be ways to come back around with a better approach. This alone, will save us.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I reckon people will be optimistic when they are young and realise as they get older that things are not as reliable as they thought and then become pessimistic. But people are part of the naturale order of things and will change due to cercumstance.

There is nothing wrong with the world, just get to know it.

"I hungry"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But the people on it? That's another story.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pupa ria is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think we should stop looking for scapegoats and pointing fingers, there's 360 degrees to cover. Well...it's the way it goes. History repeating itself over and over. And the more we get high on evolution the more destructive we become; individually and socially. A modern golden age...you may as well bash your teeth on it. what to do? what to do? now that's the question ehe3! I vote for the survival of the fittest. Sadly there's always going to be victims.
I think that all this will change cause everything has it's breaking point. Let's just hope that we survive this existential big bang. Even if we do, humanity is going to come to an end sometime. The sun can't contain her flames for so long. Let's just enjoy it as it is, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part

ekh so much for a sunday epiphany

"I'm the mirror that will make you invisible"
 33yrs • F •
Breanne is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Pride.

Pride for oneself is good. Until it gets too far. It shows in history as it repeats, it shows in the media, and also anywhere else you can find chaos.

Humility is such a hard characteristic for us as humans to undertake. How can we help this? Of course there is no possibilty of fixing the world, taking back all of the wrong doings and hatred. But we can attempt to lift a little of a burden off of each other. Serve others, smile more. We could end up at least a little bit happier in the end too!

I guess we're all in this world together.

""If the human mind were simple enough to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.""
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dionysius is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My Concern

Who reads this.And those who read this how will it help .

There are what seems a infinite array of concerns that vi for my attention they are all important all relivent to my life in some aspect here are a few

fluoride, Global financial crisis, political/Religious global tensions, environmental impact (my own carbon foot print ), third Heathrow runway, the Arms industry, nuclear power

feel free to add to the examples I have given

So here goes for as long as I can remember since my first comprehension of infinity or attempted comprehension I struggle with the fact that there may be no beginning or end. I think this same problem can now be saddled to real life problems. How can we solve any of the above concerns when there seems to be no beginning or end to them.
for example take one concern from above doesn't matter which and fill in the space marked ( A )

( A ) you are either pro, anti or neutral .Every side has its long winded argument about ( A ) which is farmed out to the masses whom reads, discusses perhaps even takes the time to research ( A ). Blogs are written threads are started and by default there opinion. And the struggle begins of Political/Religious will, Public opinion and forum blogs to name a few .With no foreseeable outcome apart from multiple lines being drawn in the sand
How does this help this WAR of words that saturates our daily lives?

Off course this is all we have Words or weapons the tools we gave ourselves to control ourselves. My mind some days spins as I grapple with global problems/beliefs that I have minimal understanding on yet it is important that I know (Seriously im not being sarcastic or facetious .It is important the we all know ) It helps us understand A little where we are as a species unfortunately we have nothing to compare ourselves to apart from a poorly recorded Ancient past often written down as religious doctrine.
What I find even more frustrating is the belief that it can be cured by voting in a specific political party or by Worshipping the right faith or even by writing a particularly clever Blog we all should know now that politics and religion is a power game .My own father has long told me that we should be wary almost afraid of anyone who seeks these positions voluntarily. (power corrupts and absolute power corrupt absolutely) Which posses a quandary in itself .

How do we get a all knowing sentient being/beings to sit in a position of unquestionable power without it driving the person/persons mad or corrupting them absolute ( And I am not referring to A God or Gods just so you all know I am a Atheist and please don't try to prove or convert me to the existence of your God/Gods as I am not interested and will not reply to your posts if you do )

A dictatorship or democracy of pure logic and truth that stands up to all dout

to me this is the stuff that dreams are made of

( A ) Probably has a rational reason for a pro stance but the con will always be there nagging so the battle continues and since no super being has been forced to take this position (remember he cant do it voluntarily )we must some how muddle on and hope for the best.
Or maybe for the briefest of moments someone will see the logic and truth and accidentally make the right decision even if the rest of us think said person is wrong .

What's wrong with the world today .
well what's wrong and what's right is all in the eye and the moral maxim of each individual "good luck with that" .

How do we change
Make an almighty smart arse that knows when to slap us collectively on the wrist and say "NOOOOOOOO"

Thank you for reading what is mostly drivel : )

P.S
I tried to read though this whole thread and some of what I read was full of hope. Not sure about the long winded coincidence argument though.What concerned me most of all was some peoples willingness to adopt a Darwin survival of the fittest and A Eugenic, Gattaca Approach to Humanity .To whom are educated people I presume this has been tried and very well documented in recent History.
And the outcome was appalling loss of life and tensions that have lasted to the present day. I am sure you all know to what I am referring and if you don't Well that to is a very sad fact of the present world in which we live and share.

"\\\"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.\\\""
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
What's wrong with the world? How do we change?

It's irrelevant to figure out "how" we change because it's a given - we are condemned to change.

Our will - our reigns to this beast.

To have the reigns to tame the beast is not enough. The driver must have a destination or both are rendered pointless.

The destination is both a subjective and objective truth. Assuming no two people would favor the same exact destination, each person has an objective preference for one destination over another.

You may arrive somewhere and realize your satisfaction resides elsewhere. You refine your destination as the journey progresses to further suit your needs as they grow more and more subtle.

This is the path to wisdom.

Change will occur whether directed or not but unless we direct it, we are at it's mercy.

No one destination is the right one all of the time - to every thing there is a season.

So I say, it is not final, once-and-for-all solutions we are in need of. It is understanding and changes of perception at the lowest levels possible - individual people - that is the solution.

And it begins and ends with each of us, acting on our own, toward the betterment of ourselves and the quest of truth.

As more and more people take on the responsibility for themselves, an exponential rise in awareness will result and the problems once seen as unconquerable will slowly melt away like winter snow in the spring sun.

To truth and love!

"The truth will set you on fire"
What's wrong with the world? How do we change - Page 6
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy