Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Constantine

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Constantine
several people seem to be very over critical of this movie. whether it is the fact that they still cant accept that Keanu is a relatively decent actor or the fact that the special effects werent exactly up to par... i have noticed a lot of people just complaining about this movie for basically no reason.

***SPOILERS***

the fact of the matter is that this movie was VERY well cast. Rachel Weisz did a particularly fantastic job with her role(s). the plot was not as shakey as people want to make it out to be, although a little more background on Constantine's life would have helped things a great deal. also, they should have incorporated the guy who found the Spear of Destiny in to the overall plot some more... he was just basically a tool.

the thing that really does it for me is how well each character was portrayed. Balthazar oozed with evil and hate. Gabriel was very majestic and yet conflicted to the point of insanity. and satan, oh boy was he dead on. teasing constantine, torturing him with every word, all while grinning with satisfaction. the characters make this movie. the effects keep interest and dont distract you from the plot much. the plot holds together and has a quite creative and satisfying end.

7.5/10

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ya, I've heard really mixed reviews, but the good ones are good.

I hope its good I'll be checking it out shortly.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 44yrs • F •
shukei is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Constantine[u] is a cool mind-ride. Much of the criticism out there right now is the customary fslash-and-smash stuff from the 'bloid-writers who seem to have it in for Keanu no matter what film he appears in.

A good story, well-told, and well-acted. Edgy and imaginative.

"Live Beyond Every Limit -- Always!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Eh, it was worth watching. Wasn't great though. Keanu did well enough but still had some bad moments.

But Gabriel was a trip for sure. I liked that whole scene when she/he/it stepped on him.

I didn't care for their portrayel of Satan however, I think it was just the personality, which came off a Hannibal Lecter mixed with Kramer from Seinfeld.

Side note: Though I liked the color motif, gold and maroon/browns, like matrix green and black, the whole movie was filthy, did anyone notice how gross everything was, it looked like every set was decorated by roaming frat parties with severe flu.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 44yrs • F •
shukei is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
You're absolutely right -- _Conatantine_ is most definitely NOT a great movie. Perhaps not even a good movie. But, at the very least, it has more going for it than, say, _Daredevil_. I mean, Keanu does have his 'bad moments', but Ben Affleck has nothing but bad moments. In ALL his films. IMHO, of course.

But, yes, I agree: Tilda Swinton's androgynous, neurotic Gabriel was one of the film's brighter lights. However, I guess that we'll just agree to disagree about Peter Stormane's Lucifer. No big deal -- this is ONLY A MOVIE. And an inconsequential one at that. No????

As for the set being Animal House gone to seed ... well, Los Angeles usually tends to look rather rancid in dystopian-type flicks. (Think _The Terminator_, for example. Or some ancient Kurt Russell escapist fare.) But, who knows -- could be there's a not-too-terribly-subtle reference to _The Exorcist_ at play here???

Random thoughts ... It'll be interesting to compare this film with the up-and-coming translation from panel to pixel of Frank Miller's noir comic _Sin City_ (by none other than the immensely talented Robert Rodriguez, no less) We shall see.

"Live Beyond Every Limit -- Always!"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i generally dont like comparing movies, but it would have been on the same level as DD if it werent for Gabriel and the Most Unclean One. i saw it a second time because i wanted to see the extra scene after the credits... wow majorly boring, and it wasnt even worth it. id be pissed if had payed for it

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
Constantine
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy