In order to be happy you have to be wierd. Mostly due to that fact that to be normal, you have to be absolutly miserable. - Anonymous
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Childhood Memories

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Childhood Memories
How do we know that our memories from childhood are real and that we're not subconsciously making them up to fill in empty holes?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
we dont, false memories are created much more often than people realize i think. to a certain extent, one could argue that the majority of your memories are "false" because they rely entirely on your perception of things at the time of the event. had you had the exact same experience much later in life or with much more information in your brain, your perception would be different as would the memory.

some things you can know to be true (or at least 99% certain) because others experienced it as well and can recall it in a similar way as you, but very often if you ask somebody else about a specfic event in the past they will have a much different interpretation of what happend than you do.

i think memories are used as a form of relaxation for your brain. generally you only remember "the good times" and reminisce over fond events. only truly traumatic events stick out as "bad" memories.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • F •
But not knowing whether a memory is true or false can create insecurity. What do you remember something different from your original memories? It makes you doubt the truth.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It makes you doubt memory, the truth is infinite in diversity and allows no singular perspective of doubt or certainty. This is why it doesn't matter.

We can't seem to be able to know the full truth or all perspectives, and memories are of one perspective at a given point in time that change over time with new information.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yep, exactly.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the fact exists that each one of us were born into this world, but which one of us recalls from personal experience that birthing process? i believe that idea has Tibetan origins (or something of the like) but their point was like lefty's- don't place too much importance on them/

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 36yrs • F •
Thanks for clearing that up, guys . I actually had a friend ask me this question. Now, I have an answer for him.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you should look into Dianetics...

then draw your own conclusions

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
Childhood Memories
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy