Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Self-centered or introspective?

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As a thinker, I see concepts and values, not people. When I'm not around people, I don't think about them. I don't wonder whether my classmate got the notes, or whether my mother wants me to do the dishes. I am completely immersed in my thoughts. I fail to consider people's feelings at times too.

Am I, or people like me, self-centered or introspective? People call me self-centered.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
to be introspective is to be self-centered.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • F •
Darn. I was hoping for another answer. Are yo sure introspective doesn't have other meanings? I mean, maybe there are introspective people who are not self-centered.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The problem isn't the self centered part, thats just a inevitable fact of life that has earned negative connotations due to strong cases of overboard self centered acts and practices. Like anything there is good and bad and when balance is offset things get messy till they regain balance, its the messy moments that get all the attention account for overgeneralizing.

I do think its safe to say that our society promotes self centered mentalities to a very unhealthy degree, thus is the way of capitalism.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
yea what he said...

basically everyone is self centered, which isnt a bad thing... its just gained a negative connotation for whatever reason. in other words, continue being introspective; it may be self centered of you, but its a good thing to be, as long as you dont take it to far.

36yrs • F •
What do you mean bby taking it too far? Give me an example of how it can be taken too far.

Yeah, American screams individuality. I was looking at some ads that literally said "We cater to your every desire and satisfy you!"

40yrs • M •
if youve been locked up in your room for over a week attempting to calculate the exact amount of influence Hume has had on society, or contemplating the "true nature" of the string theory (all the while forgetting to do those "asanin" chores like eating, sleeping, bathing and/or all of the above)... well then id say its time to go outside and enjoy life for at least a day or two.

36yrs • F •
Hm, sounds like my ususal week.

I mean, I do have school and activities which include socializing and working with others, but the minute I'm home, it's all about me. I lock myself in my room (which is now adorned with a cool "Declare Your Intellectual Independence" poster) and deal with my world. I either work on school work, come here, work on my extracurirriculars, complete my college applications....Yah, all me.

Ok, so maybe I take it too far, and maybe I've been called weirdo, psycho, eccentric, strange, nut, and a person with no social life, but what can I do? This is what I'm best at. And besides, I can't find a good place to go and enjoy myself.

Have you ever locked yourself in a room and pondered over Hume, Wyote?

40yrs • M •
only once for about three days... when i was taking a philosophy class

36yrs • F •
I've been warned about that class. Really messes up your ind is what I heard. Is it true?

40yrs • M •
only if you let it

36yrs • F •
This is what would happen with me if I took a philosophy class:
-Stick to my beliefs and ooinions
-Hear theseother beliefs and theories that I would first reject
-The words from the textbook reappear in my mind and I can't stop thinking about it
-I fall prey, doubt some part of my beliefs, lose sleep for the next few days, then forget about my issues until it resurfaces.

I'm open to most ideas, and this is usally a good thing, but it could mess up if I were in a philosophy class. Because my life seems to center around my mind and my thoughts and emotions, not around people, thus going back to the original topic of being self-centered and introspective. I am very tempted to say "I can't help it; it's who I am," but some voice inside me says I can become less self-centered. However, when I ask the voice how, it laughs at me and says that's something I got to figure out.

36yrs • F •
TelimTors Edict is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well, since everyone is essencially selfish I don't think it matters if you're introspective or not cause you're still selfish. I know someone who is really social and who seems to like thinking about people all the time but is more selfish than most people I know. So I don't think being introspective makes you selfish it just makes selfishness more obvious to others.

Anyway, for me, being introspective means that thinking about people is boring there are much more interesting things to think about. So I geuss people that aren't introspective think about people more but they can still be selfish, it just means that they find people more interesting, not that they're willing to be more considerate to others.

"…everything under the sun is in tune…"
 36yrs • F •
That was my opinion inthe first place. It's not that I don't like people. I just think differently. Maybe the people I know call me selfish for some other reason.....

40yrs • M •
you can be introspective and still be interested in other people. take me for example; i am very interested in how everyone operates and what interests them and why it sparks that interest... but at the same time i keep to myself mostly, i listen to what others have to say but rarely give an opinion of my own. i think about others inside my own head, which makes me introspective i think (in a way). i cant be the only person out there like this, can i?

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy