They say that these are not the best of times but they're the only times I've ever known - countalucard
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Thinker

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Thinker
Hey ppl. Well, this has been perplexing me for some time, since my 4 year old brother asked me who pushes our button so that we speak, act etc.
Ok, lets say we make a particular decision. It will be caused by the movement and interaction of various particles inside our brain. But what caused the movement of those particles, that led us to make a decision?!
If I want to pick up a cup of Coffee, I make a decision, and pick it up. That decision took place because of interaction of brain particles, but what caused the particles to move in the first place?

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
instinctual need, ever circulating, our hardwiring of need and desire for things that will somehow promote greater security in existance.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if you care to, you are welcome to accept that your thought is not ONLY a series of electrical impulses triggered by desire in whatever form. something about thoughts here- http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=30792-u-frmid=12

also, the whole thing with the devil and God in the Bible is that satan was up in some non-physical realm with God and he THOUGHT that he desired God's power, glory, etc., so he took some kind of action in accordance with those thoughts... if the Bible is true and everything in the physical is made from the more "substantial" spiritual, the thoughts so to speak live on. i think therefore i am./and will be

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 35yrs • M •
What about the things that are not instinctive. If u say that instincts etc cause the decision and moves the particles, then don't 'we' do anything. If I decide to pick up a cup of coffee, it is not pure instinct. There is something which causes the partices to move, a soul?

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Apeiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
mybe reflexes... like some1 who sokes for a long long time, his instincts are not instincts but reflexes... the refexe of the arm that goes to serche in the poket the damn cigaret box..but the discours of the particles is more profound than the damn bible shit... the bible is just good for the lows u find inside.. the other rest i think just sux... i mean the damn panteistc vision of the begining of the world... its not like god is inside my brain.. and he tells me that i shood move that cup of coffe... (but we can see from another angle... like this 1... considering religion and god.. are instincs are "controled by god" but what makes us move the cup? no the parcicles, but the cup it self... lol .... so the cup is god) ... just kidding ... seems there is more in our brain that we dont know... but this argument goes so deep... its like imagining the world without some1 ,like us, that would try to understand it...

"All has an origin in all, and nothing has a origin in nothing"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I heard a theory one time that, if it's true, could explain this. Everything we could ever say, do or think is an entity unto itself. Everything from emotions like anger, respect or care; to meditating, walking on the beach or murder; to picking up a coffee cup or a pen. When we get close to doing something like picking up a coffee cup, the entity comes and attaches itself to you, allowing you to, or giving you the idea to do it.

Just one of the many theories out there...

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 37yrs • M •
yah seems nice... you know how i call this entity ?
i call it DESTINY ... and its not a bug ... its just plain simple destiny... and an example is... a person is going to a damn biatch that she allsow is a witch, she can read into the future, and it tell this idiot that he will have a baby with her if he F***S her... she thinks abit and puts 3 pairs of prezervatives... in the end that biatch will not reamain pregnant... but NOT beacuse she told him... beacuse that was his destiny... the destiny includes the story of the biatch... and the destiny can NOT be changed... this is what we are...

35yrs • M •
Well, it is a matter of opinon and debate wheather life is predetermined or not.
In a sense, our actions may be. I mean, deciding to pick up a coffee isn't special. The decision we make isn't unique. So maybe our genes play a part. Our genes are programmed in such a way, so basically, if I decide to pick up the cup of coffee, my programming will do it for me, if I decide to kill someone, it will be a result of my inherent nature.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
result of a decision... that is a result of thoughts oriented around one of the feelings leading you to consider thinking about taking some kind of action in accordance with those thoughts.

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 37yrs • M •
And what if u find out what is that moves those particle... do u think u will stop there?... i dont think so.... i think u will wanna find out that nature of the particles and what is benith that.. and this will leed to infinity... beacause a fenomenon is or the anomaly is caused by a other fenomenon that compounds the first1... its like the discours of the atom... the atom was the smallest particle of matter till some years ago... when the neutron proton and elecrton was discovered, these were smaller than the atom... but then again the proton its self is made from other particale etc... going to infinity... but as opposite of minimal infinity is maximal infinity.. by now we know or we like 2 think that the univers is infinit... beacuse our minds cant accept or cant imagine something bigger than then univers....

its like every diagram...

-infinity ..... -10 -9 -8...-1 0 1 2 3 4 ...+ infinity ( maximal infinity)
the same shit goes lor time and the same shit goes for our thoughts... and philosofies ... its a subject that goes to infinity... we wount be able to know everything about everything... but we cant accept this because its regeresion...
neverles this DESIRE for knowladge and knowing/understanding the enigma wount stop... beacuse its in our nature... in the humanitys nature... the thought... the question... and the problem...

35yrs • M •
Yea, we can't to anything completly. We can't even really understand Gravity.

So does this mean that our decisions are basically a product of our nature? Do I really make a unique decision? If I am faced mwith an oppotunity to steal, I will either steal, or not steal, these are the only two possibilities, and will 'I; really make the decision? Or rather, will my decision be the sole product of my nature and genes.

37yrs • M •
well ... i am not sure... i cant be sure... no 1 can... but i like 2 balive that somehow the destiny is written in such a way that u cant bypass it ... not under it not over it... the acctions that u take are "wittten", its not like u choose, u realy dont choose, u are compleating ur destiny... if u decide to steal, that was written in your destiny... if u think that if u do good by stealing and u steal that was written in ur destiny and not beacuse u thought and u took ur actions... its kinda sad no?
hehehhe... well... i am not 100% about it but sometimes when u find, i mean when u dont find some explinations about certin phenomenons, like the death of a young chied, it is unbarabele and kinda hard to find an explination, and when we do find it, there is so hard to accept it... and we like to think that that was the destiny... or god..

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Reading the thread, I was thinking angel question was a little differeent from the responces to it but as he accepted & replied as such I may be wrong.
As an example, swimming: if you know how to swim, you jump in the water & start swimming but even good swimmers tend to flounder about if they unexpectedly find themselves in water. would seem an internal command is necessary for the subscious act to manifest itself in action.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
i think offten the subjects reflect beacause they are not particular, but underneeth there are many others that need 2 pe understood to proceed... and yah we have divaded for the initial question, but thats the splendor of philosofy and giving explinations, the splendor of changing subject.. but at the end the respowns will come..

35yrs • M •
Yeah, so what tells the sub concious to start swimming? We, 'I' don't, its automatic, I have no choice, either I swim, or I don't, and automatically i will start to swim because of my nature, my nature will make the decision for me, not 'me'.
U know, meditation etc states that the 'ego', i.e your peronality, is an illusion, mistakingly believing that we are our brain. That this false self almost becomes like a being. So who knows, perhaps our brain controlls us, our nature, and our genes, and not our soul.

The Thinker
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy