The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - 68 firebird
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Monogomy

User Thread
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Monogomy
I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on monogomous relationships. And I have a few questions/scenarios around the subject.

1. Does monogomy coincide with our natural tendencies? (I think that question may pertain more to men than to women, right?)

2. Is it possible to have a totally loving and trusting, yet "open" (sexually) relationship? Is it only our insecurities that make us want our partners to "belong" to us and us alone?

3. Let's say someone was in a committed relationship with someone of the opposite sex but had never explored a same sex encounter. The opportunity presents itself and they want to "check it out" even if nothing more than for curiosity's sake. Is part of the stigma attached to cheating the man vs man and woman vs woman competition aspect? Could it be perceived as less like "cheating" and more like "innocent exploration" if it is a first encounter with someone of the same sex?

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The most recent statistics I've seen on adultry was 60% men and 40% women do it, but I just know that women are better at keeping secrets like that and are better liars.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So is "satisfaction" within a monogomous relationship just an illusion, that keeps us striving for something that isn't possible?

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
[  Edited by thoughtmanifest at   ]
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think people who express happiness in relationships are either realists, understand the balance of the good and bad that comes with them, flat out lying, or one of the lucky few that find a relationship with a 80-90% possitive outcome and compatibility.

Oh ya and of course the niave, the ones who haven't yet learned the ways of the broken heart.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Marriage is an authorization to religiously unite. It's supposed to guarantee commitment. It's obvious a permit can't exceed the emotions and actions of humankind.

I've been married for 18 years. That's a long time. Within those years, there have been triumphs and failures. We will grow old together because we both share the same dreams. Is he my true love? Who knows? I don't think anyone knows, until they've passed on.

quote:
Is it possible to have a totally loving and trusting, yet "open" (sexually) relationship? Is it only our insecurities that make us want our partners to "belong" to us and us alone?

Do people in a relationship actually belong?

A polygamy relationship works well for some, but it wouldn't for me.

As far as your question on cheating with the same sex....cheating is not limited to any gender preference.

Monogomy
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy