Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Desire...

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
Desire...
I have begun to unravel and understand the nature of Desire...

It's a delectable word Desire.. it just slides, softly, seductively, from the tip of the tongue, out, contagiously calling to be heard, to be taken in, pleasing the ear through which it sounds into the brain, creating a yearning, a wanting, an urge, that is, desire itself.
What is desire? Is it a feeling? Is it a type of thought? Is it part of our nature? A side-effect of our evolution?

I define desire as a 'want' in which a person is driven with passion, a fervour, towards whatever the 'want' is. From desire forms attachment, and from attachment develops passion – an unseen, dangerous passion. One that distorts you, digresses you. Though little do most people understand these effects of desire. Desire ultimately creates the most negative feelings, and states of mind, one could ever experience. Anger. Resentment. Hate.

Imagine you are the wick of a candle. Desire ignites passion that is the flame that lights you. All the while the flame is dancing you think the light is good, it is what you want, what you need, til its too late and you, the wick, have been burnt. Destroyed.

What begins with desire, ends bitterly.

Love. The challenge is in forming a love that is without desire - without any desire of any kind. No desire to have, to hold, to possess, to keep, to receive, to control.

Eliminating desire is a test. Perhaps one that the human mind cannot eradicate without isolation from potential desires. Do not allow desire to pervade you. It is an acquired state of mind ~ one that I strive for. Even when I feel it stirring within me.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that weltanschauung is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The desire, to have no desire, is a desire in its self...a desire that will ultimately burn you, burn you like a flame from a candle...trying to end desire, is just a desire...its a contradictory act..."I desire, to have no desire."

""That all knowledge begins with experience, there can be no doubt...""
 39yrs • F •
epicurus_ways is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
confront every desire with this question: what shall i gain by gratifying this desire and what shall i lose by suppressing it?

"a person who is least in need of tomorrow will meet the morning most pleasantly"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 48yrs • M •
SeeJohn is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The words Desire and Covet sure have different esthetics about them.

People seem to have an appreciation for desire as an instrument of motivation. I wonder if it is not so much the desire that causes conflict, but that idea, and experience, that it does not satisfy. Then this would bring resentment.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
conflict takes an opposing force, desire can be opposed by others, the lack of what is desired, and any guilt possibly associated with either the desire the aquisitiion or the item of desire itself.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 42yrs • F •
weltanschauung> 'the desire to have no desire is a desire in itself' you are absolutely right. Though is a 'goal' the same as 'desire'?

epicrus> your attitude makes sense. And what about the unseen results and consequences? Do you believe that untimatley there is much to gain from desiring other than satisfaction of desires? Can satisfaction bring peace?

The more you desire something the more, I find, its effects are paradoxical. The motivation to initiate and begin action from desire may seem good, but once you are realising the effects of those actions, how often are they actually good for you or those involved? I dont doubt that desire can never be eliminated. This is due to our human nature and the fact that we are bound within material bodies. But I do see great value in recognising and controlling your actions towards desires. After much reflection and self-evaluation of my past actions, feelings and thoughts, I know that many of the negativities i experienced and inflicted was the result of the depths of my desires.

I am curious about your experiences in desire and desiring, what positive emotions/thoughts/outcomes have you experienced? What negative?

(Ps~ soz 4 my slow response, i have'nt been here for a little while)

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vegeto is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"the only way to end it is to not exist."

I agree, desire is moving toward having, (be it having material things,or pleasure, pain..ect...) by eliminatiing desire, you are moving towards not having. The furthest you can go in not having is to not have anything (no body, no mind, no energy, no feelings, no awareness....ect.....) therefore, not existing.

On a more simple level, one must regulate desire, (unfortunatly we are forced into that situation). Does anybody have a dog that would eat until it pukes and then eat the puke and continue eating, and then puke again....and so on...?.?.?.?.
I believe that it is a great crime that this dog must suffer his insasiable appetite, still hungry if he doesn't keep eating, eating too much and getting sick if he does. He doesn't deserve to be like that, and it is not his fault. But what is the solution. We all deserve a better solution than just compromise by regulating our desires, and we all deserve better than having to choose one way or the other.... bahhhh!!! Blast the evil that created this cruel hellish phenomenon, I desire revenge! God and Devil... I'm looking at you.

56yrs • M •
hilarius is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Desire is the beginning of all.

It is out of desire that the Son proceeded from God the Father, and their mutual desire for each other IS the procession of the Holy Spirit.

It is out of desire that all Creation is performed. All prayer and all life - they are desire.

And all of us we carry around what psychology call a desire of death.

Desire is the basic musical chord holding the universe together. It is God's outstretched hand which sustains the universe.

Sufis call desire "the Essential One".

"Having a choice betwee life and death only is ridiculous"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
dawn,
you say that wanting is bad, it just leads to getting what you thought you wanted and realizing that, in fact, it wasn't what you wanted...
or you dont get what you want and you are then as a result sad because you lack the physical manifestation of your desire. and you continue to note the lack of rather than the desire for.
either way why is desire the problem, if like you said desire can't go away (And you inherently know this!) why would you attempt to make it?
about getting what you wanted and being disappointed, if you make a decision to respond to a desire that is "wrong" even though-for whatever reason it felt "right" when you experience the physical manifestation that is a culmination of the thought process and your action, as a result, you finally do get the unmistakable feeling that it was NOT what you wanted... through this you get a better understanding of what it is you truly do want.
The process goes on... a viscious fucking cycle -lol- but it's only that way when you hate the things you keep getting rather than letting them lead you to the things you really want. when you focus on the want rather than the don't want you eventually find it.
and if it's like i've said not REALLY what you want, you can't help but take notice. so realize and take action accordingly.
"when does it end?" dosen't matter either, because you ARE getting somewhere.

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 36yrs • M •
21324 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
How do you deal with what you desire?, more than anything in the world, for example an object or person, but you cannot have for what ever reason.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Apeiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
DESIRE = HUMMAN = ANIMAL

the desire is in our nature, it is described by the bible as the absolute nagativity in man... EVA , the faimous apple and the snake and the idiot ADAM that was in love with EVA, the love that covered ADAM's eyes... the desire.... the negativity ... the sin... the man...

then we have the disire, as in the feeling... i can refet to EQULIBRIUM v nice movie ... a advanced society where the man had no right of feeling/ loving/ desiring .... well... they invented a freaking antidot to this desire/ feeling... so they were all nice robots... and those that were not agreeing were named terorists ... a vv nice subject... but this movie reveals the positive nature of the desire...

but then again darwin says we evolved from mokeys... so animas we are... the first desire was SEX... but this will get us to MASLOV that situates mane in a nice pyramid ... at the base are the first 3 desireses .... the sex ..the food.. the.home.. after these... we can work our asses up to the ladder and get to the middle of the pyramid... here we have the desire for the colture... having colture sex food and a home... the MAN can DREAM to POWER ... and that is the TOP of the pyramid.... that is the ultimate desire ... MAN = GOD .. at least that is what he wants....

desire... but how is this instinct transmeted nowdays? ... yah...it is with the help ouf our eyes.. when we see that HOT ass moving like ... ouch.... that is desire... sexual desire... that is what comes first... then comes love...

i love desire... i love to love ... i love too much... i loved when i wasnt loved.. i love and i will still love... but i will desire... less then love ... but i will still desire .. beacause this is my nature... i cant hide it.. i wount hide it...

"All has an origin in all, and nothing has a origin in nothing"
Desire...
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy