Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Murdered or assassinated

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
IBelieveInLove is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Murdered or assassinated
[b] How important does a person have to be before their murder becomes an assassin?
i was thinking about this in history.... is ot only politicans or royalty or could it be a normal everyday person?
What about an ordered hit or a gang realted murder?
How important do you have to be to be assassinated?

"i am unique...Copyright God"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
An intereesting thought so I looked up the word assassinate in the dictionary. Which gave the use of politician.
The second definiton defined 'charater assassination' which had a more generalized personafication. Use to be, people wanted to be as good as their word; honesty & integrity had value.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 80yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that squatteam is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We've perverted the word 'assassin' from the original 'hashishian' (a person on hashish). It was thought that hashish caused or at least permitted persons to murder. It has been construed in our society to mean the murder of a public person to remove that person from their public position. That means any 'celebrity', from John Lennon to JFK, although most of the media insists on saying Lennon was murdered, if only to diminish his public importance. Lee Harvey Oswald was assassinated, not murdered.

"Popular dissidents are merely pacifiers given to us by the Government to keep us in line and thinking someone is making a ruckuss."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
We've perverted the word 'assassin' from the original 'hashishian' (a person on hashish).

Sounds a bit like an overstatement.
If hashish is like pot then they would be given to a more pacifist view?

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that anchises868 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From the handy, dandy etymology dictionary:

assassin - 1531 (in Anglo-L. from c.1237), via Fr. and It., from Ar. hashishiyyin "hashish-users," pl. of hashishiyy, from hashish (q.v.). A fanatical Ismaili Muslim sect of the time of the Crusades, under leadership of the "Old Man of the Mountains" (translates Ar. shaik-al-jibal, name applied to Hasan ibu-al-Sabbah), with a reputation for murdering opposing leaders after intoxicating themselves by eating hashish. The pl. suffix -in was mistaken in Europe for part of the word (cf. Bedouin).

Not to disagree of course. I just wanted to point out the it's a lot older than the days of Reefer Madness. (And it's taken great effort on my part not to commence a diatribe on my own views of the evils of drug use.

"“My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.” –Benjamin Disraeli"
 72yrs • M •
ah . . . so there was more to it than stated. OK, that is understanding is clearer, knew a friend into violent groups.
His statement about bikers ran about the same, they might have it in for you but they would be friendly till they got you into a bad way then turn on ya.
quote:
(And it's taken great effort on my part not to commence a diatribe on my own views of the evils of drug use.)
It is your point of view, share if you feel up to it? There are a couple of threads out there already to go.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that anchises868 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Let's just say I'm against drug use. Strongly against it.

"“My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.” –Benjamin Disraeli"
Murdered or assassinated
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy