When I die, I want to die like my grandfather - who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car. - Ana Rpo
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

existence

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
existence
here are some questions: would it be possible for the universe to not exist? similarly, would it be possible for consciousness to not exist? if consciousness did not exist, could the universe exist? a lot of times people think that when a person dies they simply fade out and don't have consciousness at all anymore. is this really possible? i sure can't comprehend any of these things being true. but does that mean they aren't?

"You are reading this."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that starforsaken is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The universe has to exist. If it didn't, we couldn't. It could be argued that we lkive only inside our own minds...thus making our perception of reality completly false. However, if we were in this dream-state....there would still have to be a larger place for it to exist. Or even for us to come into being, so that this mindset or dreamstate could come into being. Thus, there has to be a universe.

I have no idea what happens when a person dies, but it sure will be intersting to find out
(and disappointing if nothing happens at all)
but then again, if nothing happens at all, we won't know, and it won't be disappointing.

"www.starforsaken.com"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that without consciousness there is nothing. No sense of time to begin with and no sense of anything else either.
Things which affect no conscious being exist for nothing and effectively do not exist.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Elemental is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When you think about it, you are not sure that anything is real at all. There is only you, and what you percieve. How do you know your subconcious is ust making it all up for you?
All in all, it does not really matter if any thing else existed except for yourself, because if you are gone, nothing would matter to you.

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
existence
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy