Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why is Prostitution Illegal? - Page 3

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
selliott1317 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
my opinion? its freedom of expression, protected by the 1st amendment:

the client expresses their desires, the provider expresses their terms, and finally the client agrees to the terms on which the agreement was based.

47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
WOW! I have a strong opinion on this one. First of all, I am not a prude, by any stretch of the imagination. I agree that, from a man's perspective, there is an ideal dream floating out there about a beautiful woman who is VERY good at making a man feel like a god, and who's sexual charm and seduction is beyond compare. What could be better in this dream than having that woman very open and willing to have sex with you, right?

However, if this woman/object in the dream becomes a reality, then we must also realize that she is a human being, and that she got to where she is because life has shown her that enjoyment comes from having sexual power over a man, or that sex is all she is worth, or worse. The problem here is that she has most likely lost her choice in the matter. Any woman that feels emotionally healthy inside would like to choose who she wants to be intimate with... and guys, if she is the object of our desires, then she is probably pretty enough to get any man she wants with or without money being involved.

There is also the important aspect of the message prostitution sends to society about women. If it is okay to make one woman into a sex object, then it is okay to think of all women in that manner, thus effectively taking away other women's freedom of choice as well. Additionally, if it is okay for a well-funded and well-protected prostitute to use sex as a power trip over men, then the message is sent that the best way for a woman to get what she wants is to have sex with men. This takes away from any normal power a woman can have in a workplace, in social circles, etc. One reason women have historically fought so hard in the U.S. to have rights is because men have historically viewed them as property. We're trying to get beyond that as a nation (and maybe as a world), and in many ways have. That, and the spread of STD's are plenty reason to make prostitution illegal.

I think if men need to have sex, then more energy should be spent on making themselves better. If you want to be treated like a god, then make yourself the object of the woman's desire!

Surround yourself with people that uplift you. Take reasonable care in your appearance. Take chances and let normal women know you're interested in them as a person as well.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 33yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that laneor is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the prostitution it's illegal because it's a human trafic

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's no more human traffic than the work place, just because sex isn't involved does not make it less of a meat market.

As long as entertainment and luxury is an industry, than so is sex.

It is a service rendered by a wage earning participant.

Tommy, not all men seek prostitutes to feel like gods, some just want to get a nut off without using their hand or having to commit to anything.

And your concern about messages to society are greatly overshadowed by messages like that of a pro athlete deserving to be rich while a double income household supporting a family deserves to be poor or even villified if needing assistance.

The power trip issues exist regardless, and with or without money or even sex included in the dynamic. This is a simple law of the jungle, human nature.

STD's a cause for illegal prostitution? By this logic sex should be illegal, enforced abstinence and monogomy, complete control over the personal sex lives of others, you want people telling you who to fuck, or that you simply can't?

This to me is an argument with its priorities out of whack that is directly related to the strange attitude I now see daily where parents and people worry more about sex, sexuality, and nudity than they do violence, greed, and lies.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Who would legalized prostituion help?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's not like prostitution was invented yesterday. I think it's the oldest profession besides farming. It isn't something that should be allowed but it's inevitable. So i say we legalize it like Holland mostly because then the government would be a pimp. HAHA jk. But all jokes aside for i know they are rather dull it makes economic, health and safety sense. It's much more profitable to tax the hookers, the spread of std's would be greatly reduced and it's a safer atmosphere for the women to work in. There really is no downside other than the fact that it's immoral. But, ask a hooker that the reply is usually crying or it's survival.

To say that men seek prostitutes to feel like gods is just sophisticating the matter. It's just simply thinking about it too hard. Bottom line I'd say it's desperation or insecurity.

Bottom line here is that wherever your stance is you wont be swayed. That's because it's church vs economic. Those that follow the church regardless of how much practical sense it makes it'll always be seen as illegal(or will at least fight for it to be illegal). Those that follow the economic stand point feel that their view makes the most sense in all aspects.

The only problem I have about this is it glamorizes prostitution. It's seen as healthier, legal and economical. I don't agree to shinning up something really nice for something so immoral. I say legalize it but I think they should make the girls go to school so eventually they don't have to prostitute anymore. I think the goal should be to get them independent of the sex trade not more comfortable with it.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From the field:

http://spocgirl.bravejournal.com/

Tommy I agree with your enlightened statement, we're talking about prostitution not rape.

If prostitution was legal then prostitutes would have workers rights and benifits and age restrictions.

If someone should force themselves on them, rob them or hurt, they can report it without being convicted of a crime themselves.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 47yrs • M •
quote:
some just want to get a nut off without using their hand or having to commit to anything

In that case, why not work to make yourself a better person with a higher self-esteem. In time, sex will inevitably follow, and you won't have to degrade a woman's self worth to get it.

quote:
a pro athlete deserving to be rich while a double income household supporting a family deserves to be poor

Who said anything about deserving? I disagree with the pro athlete message as much as you, but that doesn't mean I should add to the fucked-up societal message by telling a woman she has only one value in life.

quote:
the strange attitude I now see daily where parents and people worry more about sex, sexuality, and nudity than they do violence, greed, and lies

Now here, you have a point, one that should be made into its own discussion thread, perhaps, but not one that has to be attached to prostitution. Prostitution is not a required attrubute of sex and sexuality, just as sex and sexuality are not required attrubutes of nudity. I do not come from a religious background (http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=51045-u-frmid=17#52097). I simply wish to treat all people, women and men alike with respect as human beings.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 64yrs • M •
Tommy, maybe you are in the wrong thread.

I agree with you. Harry Chapin wrote a song about how men are taught to reach for the skies and women are taught to reach for the cupboard. A lot of this has changed, but still could use some improving.

Women should be respected.

But making prostitution eligal is NOT respecting them.

When I was in the Navy, three guys went out on liberty, found a prostitute, beat her, raped her and refused to pay and laughed about it afterwards, boasting to everyone about it as if this is what you should do, she was a prostittute and wasn't worth any respect.

If prostitution was legal - she could have gone to the cops and the three guys would have been arrested.

I believe we should respect women, even the ones who decide to make money selling their body.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
If prostitution was legal - she could have gone to the cops and the three guys would have been arrested.

I don't see how this would make a difference. If prostitution was legal then abuse would just be an occupational hazard. How would prostitutes be any more worthy of respect if none is given to them currently? Notice how many legal employees are treated with contempt do you think that legal prostitutes would be accepted just because the law is on their side? It's not a matter of legality, if prostitutes are not respected as people then what difference is made?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 47yrs • M •
okcitykid, I actually think I see your point. If prostitution is legal, there is at least a legal sanction (whether it is observed or not) and a right to seek legal counsel that can not be nullified by the fact that the prostitute was engaging in an illegal action herself.

That does not change my viewpoint, however, that legalizing it sends the wrong message to society about women's rights as human beings.

64yrs • M •
patrons will beat and rape prostitutes and refuse to pay them because they can, what can she do about it?

But if it was legal, if they beat and rape them and refuse to pay, it could get reported to the police, they may not get away with it, less chance that they will.

And it helps to have a safe environment, unlike back alleys.

It may be a moral issue, but that should be left to our own conscience. Morality is a voluntary act. Confucius taught that making laws creates loop holes to do greater evil. Like beating, raping women who offer their body for sell and think it is okay because prostitution is illegal.

64yrs • M •
tommy - with or without legalizing protitution the wrong messege is sent all the time. There is a connection between emotion and sex that is niether taught, studied or understood and should be and can be whether or not we legalize prostitution.

But thanks for seeing me halfway

45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MJClone is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Prostitution should be leaglized for various reason such as the comments made here on this thread. Rape is subdued, STDs are limited not because of constent checkups and use protection but because of the no drug use policy that would be set into affect, and road rage would come to a screatching halt.

Tommy I share the same perspective on a lot of what you said. One thing that I keep seeing you point out is the worth of a woman in society. A woman is worth anything you put on her but to her she has to know what she is worth. Womens lib. main message is no what your worth and not what anyone else puts on you. You don't have to be a housewife for the rest of your life, a career woman, a box men come in etc....It's time for MEN like us to help create a path and say to our women go ahead anything you choose doesn't make you worthy or worhtless in my eyes; you're a woman for Christ sakes. You're just like me with no balls; You are more than just what people say of you. When women get that then I think there will be a freedom for a woman to say i want to sell my body because my body is not me. I want my body to be the president the president is not me. If you are what you do then when you're not who are you?

"what if I'm a clone?"
 52yrs • M •
tommyknocker is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well in Holland they have made prostitution legal.
The lady's now pay taxes.
their healthcare is a lot better, i.e. they get "checked out" more regular.
And it keeps the illegal immigrants, wanting to become "legal"

Lets face it....the oldest proffesion in the world ILLEGAL?!

"There is no such thing as bad weather...just bad clothes. (Big Yin)"
Why is Prostitution Illegal? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy