We are closer now to what we are going to be than we ever were before - professorgrif
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Meaning of Equality

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Meaning of Equality
I see a certain inconsistency whenver people talk about enforcing equality. Laws earned by feminist and/or anti-racist movements fall into two main categories :
- laws which attempt to stop artificial inequality. Things like, inheritance, not hiring because of race/sex, missing spots on a bus because of race. IE these laws try to limit the effects of people who are actively racist/sexist.
- laws which attempt to have statistical equality by giving minorities an advantage. Things like, lower physical entry standards for women in the army, affirmative action (universities avoid penalties by having minimum racial quota) etc..

I personally find the second type opposite to my concept of equality, so what does equality mean to you? Is it treating everyone the same or (its gonna be hard to word this) treating everyone as if only intentions and effort count and not factoring in things beyond the person's control (hope you get the idea)?

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think the idea of equality does not go far enough. My thought being that people are not treated fairly for things that are beyond there control.
For example scholarships for higher education- why should these go to the students with the highest marks? These people will no doubt be more adaptable in society and will end up with higher paying jobs in the end anyway. So if your born with 1 arm or born dumb it is beyond your control. Also those with higher pysical skill levels end up with better jobs as well and is that fair?
Equality is an impossiblity and will never happen we can try to narrow the gap but it will simply cause more problems- I wish for fairness as well but I know it will never happen.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But how can one differentiate a lazy student from a stupid (differentially abled?) student? Why would students work if they know that they'll go to university anyway.
The idea that equality should make up for things beyond our control is all right and good. However, this should not and cannot be done if it means removing all incentive for avoiding harm in the first place. Should the gov pay medical bills for obesity-related diseases? Should I expect the same education whether I work hard or do jack?
This problem I think is the same problem as communism. It would be wonderful for everyone to have the same, but not if that also means destroying any and all motivation for working.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that rschulz is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The truth is that no one person is equal to another. And I think you hit it on the head "Dumbteen" when you said, "equality, removes all incentive for avoiding harm." While ultimately I think civilization and acculturation are responsible for people's loss of incentive, people should be reminded of the theory of the survival of the fittest. I think that the incentive is peoples instinct to know that problems exist.

"Morals here. Get your morals. Only cost...your freedom."
 75yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that jakereaney is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fairness cannot upgrade your level in education!
Eldred

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is a touchy subject. I was discussing (more like hollering back and forth) with this girl who sits at my lunch table. She was all complaining how women have been oppressed throughout the years and how they still are. Well for the first thing, I'd just like to say this:

IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN DISCRIMINATED AGAINST THEN YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT EQUALITY.

Ok, now that I got that out, been wanting to shout it for a while now, on to the topic. There never will be perfect equality. And I don't mean blacks will always be discrimated against or that kind of equality. I am talking about human nature in this sort of thing. Like, if I had a gun and was about to shoot someone who in the dark killed my mom, if the lights came on and it turned out to be a woman, I would hesitate. It's not that I think woman are lower, but because of the fact she is a female would change the way I react to her.

Ok about the stupid shit like hate crimes. I think they are racist, because it's actually being racist towards someone who isn't in a minority. It's the same with the civil rights act, just because you are black doesn't mean you deserve a job over some white guy who has better qualifications.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
FOUR KINDS
THE FIFTH IS EQUALITY

There are two kinds of great people

One is served
Having great respect for those who serve them
Receiving great honor
Having a great appearance

Second are those who serve
Having great respect for those they serve
Being respected
Having a great appearance

There are two kinds of lowly people

One is served
Having no respect for those who serve them
Thinking themselves worthy of respect
Receive an artificial honor
Having a foolish appearance

Second are those who serve
Having no respect for those they serve
Thinking themselves too good to serve
Receive no respect
Having a foolish appearance

However
There can never be justice
Until there is equality
Without justice there is no understanding
Without understanding there is poor wisdom

By: Roger Harkness

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
The Meaning of Equality
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy