Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome - l2 () l3
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

real or just a myth? - Page 2

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Warriors_X is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Had it been faked, I think the Russians would have pointed it out to us. "

During the war, Russians would really acuse the government of faking it....right...

Actually in space where the sattelites orbit, it is still protected by earths outer atmosphere, but when you go further out, you lose that protection and become exposed to large amounts of radiation

"Could have slowed down before getting close enough to the ground to make a big mark and then just fallen.
Hell our robots to mars don't even slow down. They just bounce at the bottom. The moon has even less gravity. "

Even slowing down they would still make a crater =P
And yea, Mars robots fall down to mars at a huge speed, bounce up and go back down several times, Yes.... Lets do that in a thin shuttle with people in it....

"It was held up by a piece of metal. Droopy flags are unsexy."

Have you even seen the lunar landing? The american flag WAVED, it wasnt held still by a peice of metal, it was waving....

"There are so many ways the minds of NASA could have solved this that I won't even bother. "

Yup, minds of NASA solve many things, even going to the moon without actually going there =P

Well, thats my opinion anyway

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tim.hoddy/eric/conspiracytheory.html

Theres the URL, just remember, he says that the crater doesnt exist because that the moon has very little dust, and yet later he shows a deep ffootprint on the moon....Just a thought, beleive what you want i guess.

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"During the war, Russians would really acuse the government of faking it....right... "
Yes, they would. I think you do not understand this period of history at all, so I'll leave it at that.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't really beleive in ghosts or werewolves, that is the do not physically exsist- but they do exsist at least in the collective consciousness. As far as aliens go I believe the origional reference was to aliens visiting earth and abducting people etc. I found all these tales intersting and there is a common thread - monsters were these things which were used to explain away mysterious and dark things but as technology progressed as well as a knowledge of the world advanced it was if a light was shinned into all the dark corners and nothing was revealed so werewolves and dragons were vanquished- but the fear remained and is now embodied by aliens. Aliens are now the new villans in our dark imaginations. They cannot be disproven and as secular beleif is more common place many people concede that there must be life esewhere in the universe.

As far as the moon goes I have no idea- i was always convinced it happened no question but the more I think of it the less I beleive it it just seems to impossible.

I wonder if werewolves would like the moon?

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
CopyRight@1997

Ghost-
1) the soul of a dead person, a disembodied spirit often imagined as a wandering, often in vague or evanescent form.
2) the principle of life; soul; spirit.
-- idiom
3) give up the ghost, a. To die b. To cease to function or exist.

Soul-
1) the principle of life; feelings , thoughts, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical.
2) the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or believed to survive death and be subject to happiness of misery in a life to come.
3) the disembodied spirit of a deceased person.
4) the seat of human feeling or sentiments.

Spirit-
1) the animating principle of life, esp. of humans: Vital Essence
2) the incorporeal part of humans, or an aspect of this, as the mind or soul.
3) conscious, incorporeal being as opposed to matter
4) a supernatural, incorporeal being, esp. one having a particular character: evil spirits
5) fairy , sprite, or elf

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
"Yes, they would. I think you do not understand this period of history at all, so I'll leave it at that."

Well, from what i understand, if the russians accused the Amercian government dring the cold war nukes would have been launched.... =O

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
could we get past this american russian thingy for gods sake?!

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
my thought is that "ghosts" as defined in the dictionary is incorrect. there must be a logical explanation for "orbs" and streaks of light when pictures are takin. even seeing "dead people" may be explainable, but i do not think they are "ghosts" ... perhaps some sort of "after image" ... i really dont know how to explain it any more clearly... so i hope somebody knows where im coming from...

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
my thought is that "ghosts" as defined in the dictionary is incorrect.
That is OK, I stated the dictionary definition as a point of departure (base) of defining.
quote:
Ghost- 1) the soul of a dead person, a disembodied spirit
Soul- 3) the disembodied spirit of a deceased person.
Spirit- 1) the animating principle of life, esp. of humans: Vital Essence 2) the incorporeal part of humans, or an aspect of this, as the mind or soul.

Note the thread about soul, Decius defined all things as being part of or having soul, where i disagreed? Dictionary defines or attributes ghost as pertaining to soul which is separate or a subset of human existence?
quote:
Spirit- 3) conscious, incorporeal being as opposed to matter 4) a supernatural, incorporeal being, esp. one having a particular character: evil spirits 5) fairy, sprite, or elf

Extends spirit to other forms (non-human) of life? A ghost is spirit (a supernatural, incorporeal being,) without the physical body . . . does this imply that none have physical bodies? Then one might tend to see:
1) lucid dreaming as setting conscious will to construct the incorporeal form or ghost by seeing their hands or doing physical actions.
2) martial artist use fous in the acts of board breaking and such to focus the intent (spirit) of the incorporeal form in another manner or means. Is this more like what you are looking for?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ah yes, sorry, i must have overlooked that in your post before... perhaps that was my ADD kicking in? but yea, something like that to me seems more likely then the traditional idea of a "ghost"

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 72yrs • M •
Ahh . . . In the Native Traditions when a person dies they are said to have gone South (ie. realm or land of the spirit) and although an entry about the Ghost Dance was given. The Ghost Road (Milky Way) is considered to be the physical manifestation of the spiritual aspect. The ghost normally seeks to continue its journey with death (separation of the mortal or physical shell). A ghost then is an aspect of Soul which has splintered becoming bound to this world (realm).

35yrs • M •
Well, you see this many a times in numerous horror films, with a person being murdered and the 'ghost' not gettin peace and so haunts. I think these are all superstitions. I mean, they COULD be true, but then how can we be sure that the universe is not supported by an infinite number of tortoises? And why dont dogs have 'ghosts', and for that matter, why not tiny insects?Why do we think we are so important, that only we have spirits and souls? This ghost thingy came up when people could not explain what breathes life into a human being, when infact it was embedded right into our DNA.

As for the 'ghost pitures', a research was done, and they tried numerous methods of photography. They made torches go round, flased lights, and shot twice on one film(to make it appear that there was an ACTUAL ghost person), and all of them fooled the so-called experts!

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I worked for many years in a building that was reputed to be haunted- Every night I was alone and on some nights I would try to find the ghost with no success- Being a non beleiver in ghosts the supernatural in general and god I had hoped that the sight of a ghost would be an exciting revelation- but the ghost bailed on me.

Which brings me to an idea i had for a story and that was this that what if a person entered a building or there home and was harassed by a ghost or haunted. And what if the person in question was suicidal or was about to be killed in the near future and the ghost was there own trying to warn the still live person... we often think of places being haunted but maybe it is people that are instead haunted.
Even if ghost do not exsist the thoughts and fears of them do- and that has an effect on those who do or donot beleive .

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 37yrs • M •
"we often think of places being haunted but maybe it is people that are instead haunted. "
I never thought of it that way =O

35yrs • M •
Exactly. You will find that most happy people would not see much ghosts, compared to the 'suicidle' ones.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You're also much more likely to see a ghost or think you saw a ghost if you actually expect to.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
real or just a myth? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy