If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Backing into a parking spot

User Thread
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Now why is this important? It's pretty simple. As you drive along and you see a parking spot, you can see by looking into it that there is nothing in it, no shopping cart lying around...etc. You back into your spot nice and safe and when you get back to your car, you are already facing the flow of traffic. You don't want to be backing into traffic because you can't see very well, right? In particular with modern cars with high backs and the forest of headrests they have to have. So if you're facing traffic you can pull out safely. In fact, most advanced driver training programs will teach you to back into your spot; it's the safest way to do it. I have heard that in Quebec it's illegal to back into your spot and that's because they don't have front license plates and it makes it more difficult for the police to identify your car incase they have to arrest you for something. Well, I've never gotten any confirmation that that's true and I really hope it isn't because since when would the administration conveniences of a police officer take precedence over traffic safety? Actually the safest way to park in a big parking lot where they have rows and rows of parking is to drive through two spots and park on the other side already facing traffic. If there is a curb you don't have a choice, back into your parking spot.

I have to admit, there is one drawback to this approach. You pull forward, getting ready to back up and some big hairy guy in an SUV jumps in there and steels your spot. Of course you have to get out of your car and you have to start arguing with the guy, next thing you know you're fighting with the guy, next thing you know he's punching your lights out. Jees you know: maybe backing into your spot isn't such a good idea. No I'm kidding! Back into your spot, it's the safest way to do it. It's not a cure for the common cold, it's not the biggest traffic safety problem we face, but it's one of those little details that separate you, the good driver from those ugly masses out there.

43yrs • M •
Epicvelocity is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hi, I'm born and bred in Quebec, and let me assure you it is absolutely false. Every single driving course and even the exam to obtain your driver's license, REQUIRES you to back into a parking space!

31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ScorcherTheMe is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That's nothing, Restless Mind.

I recently saw this one woman who took 15 minutes to park her car. And there wasn't even anything in the way. In and out for 15 minutes straight.

"You are what you say you are."
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Every day I see people trying to manuver their vehicles and every day it blows my mind how they have no fucking idea how to. How did they ever pass their drivres test in the first place.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The only time that going forwards into a space is a good idea, is if you are going to have to load something large into the back of your car and can't easily get at the back of it otherwise. Every other time backing in is the better option.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy