So let me get this straight.......Your Honda has 1.6 liters and my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2? - 68 firebird
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Allegorical or Literal? - Page 2

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Bible is very often allegorical. Noah's arc can only be allergorical, "if thy eye offends thee pluck it out" is (one would HOPE) allegorical, Jesus will return with fiery hair and sword is allegorical (if it isn't, Jesus needs a tech upgrade).
Now, when the Bible is not allegorical, there are indeed innaccuracies (no doubt to human error) :
Goliath was roughly 3 m (forgive me for not remembering in cubits), very very inplausible, in that day and age he would dead before he was twelve, who knows if the kind of diet they had could allow such growth.
In genesis , verses 26:1,8,14,15,18, the Philistines are said to have lived in Canaan at the time of Abraham, yet the Philistines did not live in the region until the period of the Judges, well after the time of Abraham.

I can't find any others right now, but they exist, though that doesn't mean it is a useless document, it just means that it must be interpreted in the right way to be historically useful. Though its factual accuracy is really of little interest to the Bible's spiritual teachings.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
[  Edited by Angelfire at   ]
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Your right Dumbteen. You're absolutely right.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
"The human race is inferior to the sum of its parts."

Hmm . . . is the human race as inferior as its lows depth of depravaty (sp) or as great as its highest quality?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What I mean is that every human being is at heart good and well meaning and if not well meaning then ultimately that person's evil is the fault of his upbringing or his genes. Every human being can be your friend in the right circumstances.
The human race as a whole is a right trashy bunch though. Constantly infighting, running towards glory and large empires only to implode a few years later, even a single nation can be horribly schizofrenic and the sum of all human actions is what we have today : a world which is inefficient, selfish and filled with misery and poverty.

Ouch that sounded pessimistic but hey

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its not like TV that's for sure. It is true that your TRUE friends are very few. It reminds me of a song, "kick em when they're up, kick em when they're down"

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
Allegorical or Literal? - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy