What is the best training for a writer? An unhappy childhood. - Ernest Hemingway
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Protecting Kids or Making Wusses?

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Locally an article went in the paper that talking about how some schools put a ban on such sports like dodge ball because they emotionally effected a child.
Some people say kids need to be proteced from the feeling of being left out out.

Others think that kids need to learn to lose for later on in life.

What do you guys think?

I believe that kids need to grow up and we should let dodge ball continue. (I was good at catching)

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree.

In fact, competition is healthy. If we lose sight of a goal, we lose sight of our future.
Live and learn, and find out that life is NOT guaranteed to be easy. Children today are so protected from losing they will, in the future, take things much harder than they will now as children.
Kids bounce back, and they learn. Life is a continuous progression towards obtaining a desired goal. If a child does not have the lessons in youth to accept defeat, they will be quite taken aback by how hard life really is later.

Also too, in some or many schools, they have taken out 'keeping score' so children won't feel bad about losing.
I believe assinine is the word I am searching for. As an adult, I know I lost in sports, but I cannot recall how or why, but just enjoying the game.

More evil.

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
which is more frightening the fear of lifes unknowns or knowingly taking away life because of fear.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 58yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that cowgirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good way to put it leftwood.

I used to love playing dodge ball when I was in school and in fact my kids are able to play here at the school they go to in Wyoming. I also feel that they need to learn to lose in life and actually be left out once in a while. They are number one in my book but that does not mean that they are number on in everyone elses. If they are constantly told they are the best and made to feel they can do no wrong life will throw them a curve someday and they will be devistated.

The dodge ball and other sports that they are trying to get rid of to be politically correct needs to stop.

"Life is like a box of chocolate you never know what you will get!"
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I remember dodge ball. It was a blast whipping those red rubber balls at people.

Great post cowgirl.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy