Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Rush & the King of Pop: Two Peas in a Pod!

User Thread
 75yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that jakereaney is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Rush doesn't like drug addicts. Jacko doesn't like child molesters. HELLO!
Eldred

Rush Limbaugh AP story:
By JILL BARTON, Associated Press Writer

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Authorities are investigating whether Rush Limbaugh illegally funneled money to buy prescription painkillers, a law enforcement source who spoke on condition of anonymity said Wednesday.

In his third day back on the air after rehab, Limbaugh responded with a blanket denial of the allegations first reported Tuesday by ABC News.

"I was not laundering money. I was withdrawing money for crying out loud," Limbaugh said in his three-hour broadcast.

Limbaugh was absent from his show for five weeks after announcing he was entering a drug rehabilitation program because of his addiction to prescription painkillers. But he told listeners he could tell them little about the allegations.

"I know where the story comes from, I know who's behind it, and I know what the purpose of the story is, and I'll be able to tell you at some point," he said.

Law enforcement sources in Palm Beach County, where Limbaugh owns a $24 million oceanfront mansion, previously confirmed that a criminal investigation into a prescription drug ring involved the conservative radio commentator. His former maid, Wilma Cline, reported supplying him with OxyContin and other painkillers.

Authorities learned two years ago during an investigation of U.S. Trust bank in New York that Limbaugh withdrew cash 30 to 40 times from his account at amounts just under the $10,000 bank reporting requirement, ABC News reported Tuesday. A bank employee was reported to have delivered some cash to Limbaugh.

Limbaugh told listeners the report was misleading and said that he had the bank bring cash to him at his New York office "maybe four times, if that many." Otherwise, he said he obtained cash from a bank in Florida, where he was living.

"When I went to get cash, I took a check to the bank. I went to the bank officer. I said, `Here's my check,' and they gave me the cash. There were witnesses to this," he said.

Limbaugh's lawyer, Roy Black, did not return a phone call for comment Wednesday.

It can be a federal crime to structure financial transactions below the $10,000 limit to avoid the reporting requirement.

Limbaugh said he started taking painkillers "some years ago" after a doctor prescribed them following spinal surgery. Limbaugh said he became hooked taking the pills for chronic post-surgical pain.

Limbaugh's drug admission came less than two weeks after he quit as an ESPN pro football commentator. He'd received criticism for saying on the sports network's "Sunday NFL Countdown" that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

Limbaugh reported two years ago that he had lost most of his hearing because of an autoimmune inner-ear disease, but some medical experts have said abusing painkillers can lead to profound hearing loss.

Limbaugh had surgery to implant an electronic device to restore his hearing.

In the past, Limbaugh has decried drug use and abuse on his show, mocking then-President Clinton (news - web sites) for saying he had not inhaled when he tried marijuana and often making the case that drug crimes deserve punishment.

Michael Jackson Reuters Story

By Dan Whitcomb

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (Reuters) - Pop superstar Michael Jackson, a self-styled "Peter Pan" whose relationship with children has long been controversial, was ordered on Wednesday to surrender to California authorities to face multiple charges of child molestation, officials said.
Law enforcement officials who spent more than 14 hours on Tuesday searching Jackson's sprawling Neverland ranch near Santa Barbara, central California, gave no details of the case -- including whether it involved one or more children -- but said an arrest warrant had been issued against the singer.

"An arrest warrant for Mr. Jackson has been issued on multiple counts of child molestation. The bail amount on the warrant has been set at $3 million," Santa Barbara County Sheriff Jim Anderson said.

"In a very short period of time there will be charges filed against Mr. Jackson," Anderson said.

Jackson was in Las Vegas shooting a music video when his ranch was raided. His spokesman on Wednesday called the allegations false, scurrilous and without foundation.

"The outrageous allegations against Michael Jackson are false. Michael would never harm a child in any way. These scurrilous and totally unfounded allegations will be proven false in a courtroom," spokesman Stuart Backerman said in a statement.

Backerman said Jackson had made arrangements with the District Attorney in Santa Barbara to return to the city "to immediately confront and prove these charges unfounded."

Police declined to name the alleged victim or victims. Media reports have said they involve a 12-year-old boy.

They added that the charges did not involve oral copulation but would be brought under a section of the California penal code outlawing "lewd acts" on children under 14 "with the intent of arousing, appealing to, or gratifying ... lust, passions or sexual desires." The charges specified carry a minimum of 3 years in jail and a maximum of 8.

SIMILAR ALLEGATIONS

Jackson was the subject of similar allegations 10 years ago by a 14-year-old boy. But criminal charges were never filed, and Jackson was never arrested, because the accuser declined to testify. Jackson later reached a multimillion-dollar out-of-court civil settlement with the boy's family.

Santa Barbara District Attorney Thomas Sneddon told the news conference that the current case was different because "we have a cooperative victim in this particular proceeding." He also said the laws have been tightened up in the past decade because of the Jackson case, and added that there was a public feeling that the singer had evaded prosecution last time.

Us magazine journalist Ian Drew, who has known the singer since 1998, quoted sources close to him as saying Jackson "was incredibly angry and had done nothing wrong." He added that Jackson wanted to make his surrender to authorities as low key and as private as possible.

Jackson said in a statement on Tuesday that he was unaware of the nature of the current investigation and suggested that it had been deliberately timed to undermine the release on Tuesday of a new compilation of his greatest hits.

"These characters always seem to surface with a dreadful allegation just as another project, an album, a video, is being released," Jackson said in the statement.

Sneddon dismissed Jackson's claims, saying the investigation had been underway for months.

"Jackson himself, I believe, has said this was all done to ruin his new CD that was coming ... like, the sheriff and I are really into that kind of music," Sneddon said.
It has been a tumultuous year for Jackson, whose talents as an entertainer have been eclipsed by his bizarre personal life. In February, he spoke in a British television documentary of sometimes sharing his Neverland bedroom with young boys.
In November last year, Jackson stunned fans in Berlin by dangling his barefoot baby from a hotel balcony. In June, he settled a $12 million breach of contract lawsuit by his former top advisor, avoiding a trial that threatened to expose details of his financial empire.

[  Edited by jakereaney at   ]
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy