A relationship that is not built on friendship, is like a mansion built upon sand. - l2 () l3
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What's In Your Name? - Page 7

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
Lindaithiel is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Lindaithiel, which in Tolkien's elvish language means Singing Laughing Maiden. I got this nickname from my boyfriend when we were still friends. We were driving back from visiting someone and we were laughing and singing to the radio. So he gave me the nickname and it's stuck ever since.

45yrs • M •
pentupentropy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
ehhh......mine doesn't really make sense when you break it down, which makes it more like slang.

Pent up - enclosed, restrained from willful movement
Entropy - A study of chaos as related to the amount of heat in a vacuum or it can be as simple as two reactions canceling each other such as an ice cube melting in a glass of water.
So, slangly - restrained chaos. Not that I'm chaotic, just that we lack control, or only have the illusion thereof. So my nickname really kind of suits all of us.
I think I got it from reading too much, but if anyone wants a good list and you haven't checked them out yet... Check out Lee Smolin - 3 roads to quantum gravity, Henri Bergson - Time and Free Will - a Collective Essay on the Immediate Data of Consciousness (good for qualitative v quantitative thinking), My new personal fav : A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines - DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE BEEN SUICIDAL AT ALL LATELY. I swear to god it was the most depressing thing I have ever read. Also check out: Anything by Sartre, though I would recommend Existentialism and Human Emotion first, and Nausea if you would like to follow it with "Being and Nothingness" (also depressing, but not nearly as much), Steven Pinker, Bertrand Russell, Pappineau - a good book for beginner consiousness... Introductino to Consciousness (high school level stuff). Anyway, if you already read most of that stuff, now you have a good idea for what I'm mostly about.

What's In Your Name? - Page 7
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy