For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected (Timothy 4:4) - God created you! - Extreame Angel
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

SERIOUS BIBLE QUESTIONS - Page 2

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My stepdaughter is really into dinosaurs. And she has all the dinosaur movies. According to the movies, Antarctica remained dark for 6 months and light for six months just like it does now. But it only got cold when it was dark. While it was light, it was very temperate. Had to scratch my head on that one.

Latest I heard, science doesn't believe in the flood except for the Mediterranean, not the world - which might be plausible.

They say asteroids destroyed the earth long ago. The latest I read was that there was a large pocket of Methane gas under the ocean. When an asteroid hit, the methane gas was released and sucked up all the oxygen and killed everything. The earth started over again.

The birds are all that's left of the dinosaurs. My stepdaughter says they're wrong. She just turned eight, and I'm not asking how she came to that conclusion.

But there are a lot of mysteries just now being discovered. If you're into that, now is a good time to be alive. : )

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 62yrs • M •
billyboy2674 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
ahhh the bible.....let's see now-the book has a trillion translations and every time a genius wants to set up a new busin...I mean religion....he makes a new translation so that bible can support his new doctrine....then they come to your house and tell you all the translations are the same...yeah right...then why create all the different ones?lol

ahhhh religion.....used to be my pastime until I realized it was taking all my faith away.Good riddance.

37yrs • M •
D'Esterre is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Deletion_Of_Me Wrote:
"...Oooh, the Bible. Fun. I enjoyed tearing it apart (in a non-literal sense) in the past, and will have more fun doing so in the future, or so I prophecise.
Just a question, but who has actually read IT (Bible = IT) from cover to cover before?
Hmm... I had a point, but I seem to have lost it... ahh, the Ark. Well, I could defend the "IT believers" and say that the flood didin't cover ALL of the world, just the world known to those who wrote IT, therefore, only animals that they knew of in their land were taken aboard blah blah blah ad infinitum.
However, being Me, as I am most prone to me, I will not. IT = greatest fiction in production, and I applaud those who had a hand in its writing. Heh, I just remembered a story I heard about why there is "no longer" such a thing as Unicorns... they were playing about and refused to get on the ark, then came the deluge and voila, Unicorns = nil.
Once again I lost my point... oh well. It was fun while it lasted.
As for the web site, it left a lot to be desired. I prefer www.religioustolerance.org and its infinite wisdom..."

Hey, lady. Show some reverence and respect. I have the desency to respect all the hippy crackpot ideas on here, you should respect this idea. The fact that millions of people beleive it, have devoted their lives to it and have done untold good through correctly learning it's messages is enough to warrant respect.

Who are you, the insignificant, to criticise such a book?

Yes, i have read it all. It is what students of philosophy and religious ethics do. Get off your high horse and take stock of your situation.

"Think, just think and reflect."
 64yrs • M •
I've read the bible to cover to cover. I don't believe it is the word of God, but it does contain an awful lot of wisdom. One can learn from its pages.

57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have read it cover to cover. It is my favorite book.
Without it, we would have nothing to measure our actions to.

Besides it is very old, and is all backed up by history itself. The
'stories' can be 'backed up'. Take a journey around the old lands...the world for that matter. (Love armchair experts.)

Besides, NO fiction would continue to 'exist'. IT was not fiction, and it is DEEMED by God or we would not have it today..

In other words, God wants the bible to continue to exist. It may be changed, misinterpretted, ridiculed, criticised, and yet, it has never died off as most 'stories' of falseness normally will.....
And that is NOT proof enough?
Yet still, it will outlive everyone here debating it.

Why? Because GOD said His word would last for all time. )

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Without it, we would have nothing to measure our actions to."
Well there is the Quran, Confucius and the various philosophers that have come about.

"Besides it is very old,"
Or outdated , j/k

"and is all backed up by history itself. The
'stories' can be 'backed up'."
Some of it is backed up, some of it seems historical but exagerated, the vast majority of its implications are not backed up by history, and some of it contradicts history.

"Besides, NO fiction would continue to 'exist'."
The Quran still exists (and Shakespeare's works, and homer's Odyssey which is even older, if that matters).

"And that is NOT proof enough?"
Not at all. The bible uses no argumentation, its view of creation is plain wrong, its morals are fairly arbitrary in my opinion (homosexuality, suicide and other religions are evil and deserve eternal hellfire?).

"Yet still, it will outlive everyone here debating it. "
Undoubtedly. Science will also outlive us all (can you imagine us abandoning cars, vaccines, running water, electricity etc?). Oh, and the Quran will undoubtedly outlive us too.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 57yrs • F •
The Quaran is also biblical, but it is traced to a beginning some time after creation.
It is also a book of God. Not that I am in agreement of it's laws.
But it descended from the time of Abram aka Abraham.

The SOME of it that backs up history is sufficient.
For example. Jeremias the Prophet prophesied "And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of Him who was priced, upon whom the children of Isreal set a price; and gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord directed me."
That field today is the same burial place for strangers it became in the time of Jesus. Whom Jeremias spoke of.
St Mathew 27; 6-8
..'And the chief priests took the silver and said "It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, seeing it is the price of blood" And after they had consulted together, they bought with them the potter's field, as a burial place for stranger's. For this reason that field has been called Haceldama, that is "The field of blood"'

Haceldama; (word Hebrew meaning "field of blood".

In the New Will, name given to the field (located in GĂ©henne) that the large priests bought with the thirty sums of money that Judas had returned to them.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07103b.htm

AUTHOR: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.
Old, but not over or never 6000 years in age. At this moment, I am not sure exactly when man began, but that is when the writings began.
You see, the Bible is like a very old diary kept by men and at that time, were told what to write.

The scrolls were kept intact for as long as possible. the originals had dissintegrated. But the copies, of the originals are still around. Also carboned, and very old.

The Odyssey

By Homer

Written 800 B.C.E

This is a story about mythology. Mythology was a religious practice back in the time of Jesus. The Romans wholly believed in paganism, orgies, and drunkenness.
Matter of fact, although this text comes well after His death, the fact that Mary Magdelene was involved with Roman husbands, and orgies, and drunkenness should actually proove how idol worship existed.
Anyway, the fact is, Although it is 'fiction' it is fiction because the Pagan Romans became Christian because of Christ.

64yrs • M •
I have my theory about the bible. When it tells parents to stone their children for disrespect, it can't be all true. I know that Jesus is the completion of that law. The law that the Jews could not follow. But this is still hard to believe that this is the word of God. There are also many things in the bible that are of a brain washing nature. You scare someone into believing something. If it was truth, you wouldn't have to do that. It is true that the word of God will never die, because it has always lived in our hearts even though the scriptures were not always there. And a part that bothers me about calling the bible the word of God is: Why has God stopped talking to us? I believe that all inspired word comes from God. One must judge for themselves what is and is not inspired. I suppose that if it speaks to your heart it is inspired, and you will certainly find some of this in the bible, and other sources.

There are more scriptures being found, and have been found and not yet released to the public and a whole lot of it that hasn't been translated yet. I think there will be a few surprises. Even in the scriptures it speaks of whole libraries having been destroyed, and the scriptures we have today have not been in the best of hands.

However, the word of God has been kept safe within us.

57yrs • F •
First I have read the bible, and in no way have I ever read where children are to be stoned. Please show me that text.
It says in the bible, that a parent may punish a child as seen fit, but whoa to them who murder their child.

quote:
Why has God stopped talking to us?

If you read the where Moses tells the Lord that the people FEAR Him, and His voice frightened people. SO, God promised He would no longer speak directly to mankind.
He always keeps His promise.

64yrs • M •
ok - I'll look for it. I could of mis read it. It's in the law of Moses. I remember reading it one more time with an open mind and when I got to that part I just shook my head and closed the book.

64yrs • M •
ok - you might have got me on this one. My wife (a teacher with a masters degree) says I am wrong - she has never heard of such a verse, she too has read the bible. But I looked and haven't found it. The internet makes such things so simple . Under stoned I found nothing, under stone I found hundreds of scriptures and have decided not too look at each one of them, I'm probebly wrong. I did find a verse that it may have been. Moses tells the CHILDREN of Isreal that should one CURSE outside the camp they should be stoned. I bet that is the one I missread.

Oh well - I am not above admitting that I am wrong.

57yrs • F •
Thank you Okcity. I really had to wonder.
Yes, if we get to many parts we mistake. We should reread it. Or come back to it later.

I find reading the bible over and over, makes it clear as you retrace it.

Another thing we must be careful of, is the language of the time. Compared to our times.

You do well, Okcity.

SERIOUS BIBLE QUESTIONS - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy