Sometimes I wonder if I am just a twisted figment of my friends overactive imaginations. - Cheriss
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

church

User Thread
 1943yrs • M •
Isaac is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
church
I am a liberal Christian, and I have grown to hate church because nobody understands me or discusses things from a perspective I can benefit from. Is there anything I can do, or should I quit going to church?

39yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that JetPlane is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Church is, in fact, like school, except with one large difference: you have to help yourself.

Have you tried reaching out? Every pastor I've ever spoken to has been most willing to speak with me about anything. That's what they're there for. My rabbi is a permanent staple in my life. I go to dinner at his house almost three times a week and he's a close mentor and friend.

Religion isn't about waiting for someone to come to you. It's about faith and community. A church shouldn't "understand" you, but a pastor can.

You need to reach out. The problem may be merely in the fact that you're afraid to tell anyone your concerns.

"\"Like maple syrup, Canada\' evil oozes.\"-<i>Canadian Bacon</i>"
 53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Abe Slank is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The problem with the churches I've attended is that there is little interaction. I'm not talking about kneeling and singing and putting your money in the plate. I'd like a more round table discussion environment. Most folks I know go in on Sunday and listen to an hour sermon and then it's back home to the other temple for the rest of the week (I'm talking about TV).
My wife tells me that the Unitarians are pretty open-minded. Maybe you could try there.
I'm more of a kitchen-table theosopher and I think God has probably got better things to do than hang around some stuffy church.
It sickens me to think that there are people who are homeless when there are so many spacious churches everywhere (at least in my area, the Bible Belt)
Oh crap! I'm ranting

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that stealph is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A small response for a huge matter: I notice the homeless population in the DC area where I live and it is a problem. However, the Church is not directly responsible for the problem. Ultimately, Church is meant for one main thing, prayer. Outside of prayer Church provides outlets from worship and fellowship to singing and outside things like sheltering homeless etc. The bible says, You will always have the poor among you, and you can help them whenever you want to. But I will not be here with you much longer.

church
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy