Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

US disappointed with canada?

User Thread
 46yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rollergirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Washington delivered a stern message to Canada on Tuesday, saying Americans feel disappointed and betrayed by the Canadian decision to stay out of the war in Iraq.

Although the relationship between the two countries will endure in the long-term, he said, "there may be short-term strains here."

When asked what those strains will be, Mr. Cellucci replied: "You'll have to wait and see." But he cryptically added that it is his government's position that "security trumps trade," implying possible ramifications for cross-border traffic.

The United States believes that the war is a necessary step in the global war on terrorism, said the ambassador, arguing that any nation such as Iraq that possesses weapons of mass destruction that could be given to terrorists poses a direct threat to the people of the United States.

So Americans are hurt and upset that Canada would not join in the fight against that threat, he said.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030325.wcellu0325_2/BN
Story/National

gimme a break. that comes across as a childish and blatant attempt to play with our kind and soft-hearted disposition.

your feelings are hurt? have you forgotten that you made the decision to go to war on your own? almost every country on the planet decided not to support you.

i agree with the ambassador that we have an important relationship and it should be maintained, which means you should respect our decision not to support your war and move on. that's what having a relationship is about. respect.

unfortunately, there isn't much respect from this side of the border regarding this war, either, so it looks like we have a bit of a problem. i do hope that we can work it out.

"get busy livin' or get busy dyin'..."
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ScorcherTheMe is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Uh, Decius, I didn't know you were a Canadian. Good to know.

Anyways, I think it's us Canadians (I'm Canadian as well), who should be angry with the Americans. They had to elect an idiotic and pointless leader, and we did the same. In my opinion, Stephen Harper is wrecking Canada from the inside out.

Think about it.

Canada's decision by Paul Martin to stay out of the War in Iraq was a good decision, when you look at it one way or another. That's OUR decision and the United States has no right to override that; even though they do have 10x as many people as us.

Now, Stephen Harper, on the other hand, had to let all of the Canadians in Iraq get killed. Why? Because now we're SOLDIERS, not PEACEKEEPERS.

Also, at first I was wondering why nothing was going on in Canada with the new Government, but then I found out that Harper is keeping all of his plans a semi-secret (meaning you need to look in a lot of places before you can find it). He's shutting all of the media up so we cannot find out what is going on in our own country. How unappealing is that?!

Sometimes I fear that one day, I'll wake up and turn on the television saying that because of Harper and George Bush, the combined populations of Canada and the United States (approximately 330,000,000 people) was suddenly cut in half in one day because of war, diseases, and crime.

Bottom line, Stephen Harper absolutely sucks as a leader. If he and his outrageous and uncontrollable political party (Conservatives) are left in office, the death rate for Canadians will hit 95% before you can say "Let's Get Out Of Here!"

Vote Liberal, NDP, Greens, ANYBODY! Just not the Conservatives!

(Now, I'm completely sorry, but my words had to be heard, or in this case, seen)

"You are what you say you are."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Although there were idiots who voted for Bush, we did not elect him. Not that Kerry would have been any better.

This whole dispute will go away when our borders do, and none of us have any national soveriegnty as we merge into the North American Union.

I doubt voting for a new "leader" is the solution. Grass roots movements while there is still an internet seem to be the best option to date. We need to move to end secrecy and clean out the corruption.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy