Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Catholics vs Christians - Page 8

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ah Patri, I do not belittle you nor your belief.
Well yes false doctrine (misconceptions) can be harmful.
quote:
The heyoka in me plays the trickster but it is in the spirit of fun that we see the foolishness & laugh least we take ourselves to seriously.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am normally quite a silly individual...the ONE thing I take more serious than anything....is Religion.

Unfortunately misconceptions can harm...
but with mass confusion....ppl have hard hearts.

see...I smile...LOL

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
Essentially, CT, I am the same...I advise the return to church...to God...to Christ.
BUT, with some strange doctrines, their is inheret danger..and now my conscience is cleared...as I gave my warnings.
Well, Patri I went to various churches and studied their beliefs, but what I found is the truth, having sought it, I have come to understand the Truth and therefore the Lie.
So having been changed, why would I want to be part of the LIE. No thanks, I will continue to grow in GOD's Grace not seeking the grace of men (the ways of the world).

72yrs • M •
nodgnoc is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
[b]

This cam to me unattributed so I don't know the original author, but I like it just the same as it captures the mythology of Christianity perfectly.

>Top ten signs you're a Christian Fundamentalist
>
>10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by
>other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of >yours.
>
>9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people >evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the >Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
>
>8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a >Triune God.
>
>7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed >to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah >slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the >elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" -- including women, >children, and trees!
>
>6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims >about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that >the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
>
>5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in >the scientifically established age of Earth (4.55 billion years), but >you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age >tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a couple of
>generations old.
>
>4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the >exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. >And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
>
>3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have >failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the >floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" >Christianity.
>
>2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered
>prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you >think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
>
>1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do >about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call >yourself a Christian.

72yrs • M •
noted the Interesting theory
10 ( the word states that there is but one woho is GOD (the Creator)but does not deny the existence of lesser spirits or gods.
9 ( the bible states we are created form the dust, which may be more indictive of the interstellar variety from which all things exist. ( After alll it hebrew says the world (universe) is GOD breathed into existence.
8 ( Many of my post do deal with this subject & therefore has been covered to a greater degree than I can here.
7 ( thing about the OT is that Crist fullfiled it, they having nailed it to the cross, you see.
6 ( note answer to #10 . . . yes, I know what you mean, I walked on fire but water that is a whole, other can of worms!)
5 ( Did they guess at the age of the earth or were they estimating the age of man?)
4 ( By your own judgements you are judged, as a spiritual being you are eternal. How it is spent is upon your own head.)
3 ( My belief is based upon my experiences the same as our beliefs are based in science or any other belief system.)
2 ( a fundalmentalist taught me that you have to be willing to receive in order to receive so may it be why your ratio is rather low?)
1 ( Oh I don't particularly call myself a Christian.)

52yrs • M •
jwbbaz is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Catholicism and Christianity go together as well as oil and water. The Catholic Church attached itself to Chrisitanity when it was founded in roughly 300-325AD. Christianity is not the same as Catholicism...please dont kid yourself. Christianity is not a religion, it is the following and faith in Jesus Christ. I was born Catholic, and was so for almost 23 years, but I have come to realize through trials and research, the Catholic church has misled me and my heart.....dont be afraid to ask your priest about the history of the church and why are there so many laws/doctrines that the Church had instigated well after the death of JC, and continues to change them to fit their needs.....

Are Catholics Christian?
Question Are Catholics Christians? If not, why? This is not a negative question. I desire to honestly know if Catholics are considered to be part of the Christian faith.

Answer This is a most important question anybody can ask. Am I a Christian? Or am I a Christian in name only? Do I have a living relationship with Christ?

Well then, who has the right to call himself Christian? Like the Jews of old, people still fool themselves in thinking that they are right with God because of some ritual (like circumcision or baptism) or because of their heritage ("I was born into a Christian family and attend a Christian church".

According to the Bible, a true Christian is chosen by God before the foundation of the world, redeemed and forgiven by the blood of Christ, illuminated by the Spirit, knows and obeys the truth of the Gospel. A Christian is someone who trusts in Christ for his salvation, and gives all praise to God for His grace. (Please read Ephesians 1:3-13).

Does a Roman Catholic fit this description? Superficially he does. He believes in Christ and speaks about the grace of God. But if he follows the official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, regretfully I must say that he does not really believe in Christ nor does he know the grace of God. Please allow me to explain.

The Gospel teaches that "a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law" (Romans 3:28). God regards a person just and righteous who trusts wholeheartedly in Jesus, and who does not attempt to win God's favour by his imperfect obedience of the Law. Sadly, Roman theology has rejected God's way of salvation. To faith, Rome adds a set of deeds (many of which are human inventions) and curses anyone who dares to completely trust in Christ alone for salvation. 'If anyone says that the faith that justifies is nothing else but trust in the divine mercy, which pardons sins because of Christ, or that it is that trust alone by which we are justified, let him be anathema.' (Council of Trent, session 6, cannon 12).

We firmly believe that our sins are pardoned because of the sacrifice of Christ alone. Rome would have us perform acts of penance and suffer in purgatory to expiate our sins. The Bible proclaims Christ, the Priest who offered himself once for all. Rome would have us apply to her priests who daily offer their sacrifices on the altar. The Bible proclaims Christ as the only Mediator, Rome would have us apply to other mediators, like Mary, the saints and the church.

Again, we assert that we are "justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Romans 3:24). The Bible clearly defines what grace is: "to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt" (Romans 4:4) Grace is unmerited favour, as opposed to the merit of works. Rome outwardly teaches that we are justified by grace. However the "grace" of Catholicism is a very strange species. The Catholic Church states that "we can then merit for ourselves...the graces needed...for the attainment of eternal life" (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2010). To merit grace is a contradiction in terms. Rome would not allow you to receive the gift of salvation with a grateful heart, but would have you work like a slave to merit it.

We are forced to conclude that the message of Rome is a different gospel. It is a false gospel. I say this with much sadness and concern for the multitudes of Catholics who blindly follow this false system. I must warn every Catholic that Christ is of no avail to you unless you relinquish any confidence in yourself and your works, and in every other creature. Faith must be in Christ - alone!

Having said that, I gladly add the following caveat. There may be some nominal Catholics who, either out of ignorance or willful rejection of Catholic doctrine, truly trust in Christ alone for their salvation. They are Christians and really belong to God.

The book of Revelation describes a deceptive and false religious system named Babylon. It is not my intention here to discuss the exact nature of this Babylon - the principle remains the same. Some Christians are trapped inside this deceptive system and God gives them a specific command: "Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues" (Revelation 18:4). Thank God that even in Babylon, God has His people. If you are a Christian entrapped in the false religious system of Rome, hear God's calling and come out of her. You will experience liberty and life like never before.

"Who created religion? Man or Christ?"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The Catholic Church attached itself to Chrisitanity when it was founded in roughly 300-325AD.

Your post is too long, I looked it over - but I wonder how you know that? Did you live through the dark ages to know of the history that has been erased.

Dark ages 500 to 1500AD

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 52yrs • M •
jwbbaz is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
quote:
quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------
The Catholic Church attached itself to Chrisitanity when it was founded in roughly 300-325AD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------

Your post is too long, I looked it over - but I wonder how you know that? Did you live through the dark ages to know of the history that has been erased.

Dark ages 500 to 1500AD

How do I know you ask? How do we know JC existed...that was well before that? How do we know that Dinosaurs roamed the earth? I sure the heck didnt live in the prehistoric age either, but we know....How do we know our Family trees? History man, its documented......do you know who Constantine was? I have done my research, and if your really interested I would ask your priest, if you're catholic(i dont know)....Knowledge is wisdom

Dont we know about the roman Empire? Roman Catholic? How these so called Catholics persecuted chrisitans in there coliseum(sp)? By all means Im not saying Im right and you're wrong, but I learned to open my mind and heart, and I wasnt afraid to ask questions about being catholic, but I will say something....Everyone has to learn on their own, whether they chose to or not is in their hands... Peace.

52yrs • M •
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04295c.htm

On the same note on how do I know this....since this was during the "Dark Age" period.....you can probably go ahead and ask the Catholic Church the same thing....how do they know this?.........Check out the link above published by a Catholic print "New Advent"....same time period you questioned me about.....

You can only lead a horse to water, but you cant make the horse drink it....

56yrs • F •
I suppose I should make a new 'Defense of Catholicsm' thread.

52yrs • M •
Patrish,
Basically I just put my 2cents in, my feelings as a christian, as a previous catholic. It was by no means my intentions to bash/slander/ or insult anyone. I look at it this way...we are all Gods children, in lets say a Texas Hold'em Tourney. The cards you have in your hands we'll call Religion, The thought process going into 'Holding them" or 'Folding Them' we'll call 'Faith'. Now when it comes down to it, after you have all the cards in front of you, are you willing to go all in (with the possibility of losing everything you have) ????

By no means am I the one you should 'Defend' yourself against

56yrs • F •
Whatever it takes to serve the Lord.

64yrs • M •
quote:
How do I know you ask? How do we know JC existed..

Very little knowledge was allowed during the dark ages, that's why they called them the dark ages. We believe that there is a Jesus because the scriptures that tell us this are one of the few things allowed to survive the dark ages,

We believe in Dino because we found bones. So how do you know that the Catholic church atatched itself to the Christian church.

I clicked on the link. I'm not going to read all that. Be nice and quote it for me.

52yrs • M •
You know, you can only lead a horse to the water, but you cant make him drink it.....

64yrs • M •
jwbbaz - Last night I was thinking *I'm being an asshole*

You have a right to your opinion, and you were only expressing it. I did go back and read your post, and I think you expressed your opinion very well. While I might dissagree with you, many years ago I would have agreed with you. Your opinion is that of many scholars who believe the same as you (or close to it).

Why I was acting like such an ass hole, I don't know, maybe I'm just on the defense with all the stuff going on.

Condensing your post down. First you say the Catholic church came from the Christian church, then you question if the Catholic church is a christian church, assuming that there are still christians and that you are a part of that movement. According to history, all Christian churches around today can not be linked further back then the Catholic church.

Your belief however is supported by at least by one historian I listened to while I was in the Navy, taking a Roman Tour visiting the catacombs. He believed that Ceasor persecuted the Christians terribly (everybody believes that). Then somehow, for some reason Ceasor becomes saved himself, so he claims and creates the Roman Catholic Church and apointed himself as the pope. The Roman chuch ofcourse denies this and claims that Peter was the first pope. We assume that the church itself became corrupt and this being the reason for protestanism. This is what most people believe. I don't

I have to ask, what happened to the original Christian church? I do not believe that they were just sucked up by the Catholic church as you do. And I will leave it at that.

Catholics vs Christians - Page 8
  3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy