Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Genetic engineering - Page 2

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Mr. Humble is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Don't you see something fundamentally wrong with separting kids because their parents thought they should be different? What if two "different" kids were friend but in separate schools? That would bite!

""How do you know we exist? Maybe we don't exist." -Vivi FF9"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Pugsl3yB0y is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The random 50/50 ....not your parents!...Would you like for your abilities to be "picked" by your parents? Well what would you do about your disabilities??? Blame you parents?
"Picking" your child's "life" is playing GOD.....and our race is by far not responsible enough to play god. There are no exceptions either.

"Knowing the true knowledge of an answer is first understanding the knowledge of the question."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
""Picking" your child's "life" is playing GOD.....and our race is by far not responsible enough to play god. There are no exceptions either."
Why is it playing God? It is a simple random, scientifically explained mechanism. God could only possibly have a role when we get down to planck length (extremely low length) where true randomness exists and therefore God could have an effect.
Would you let a child with a serious genetic defect be born retarded instead of modelling him by man to let him live a normal life?
Or, supposing you are correct, should we let God create a retarded/handicapped/malformed child because in all his wisdom he decided to do so?

Man has relied on technology for progress so far, always advancing much faster then our biological progress. Genetic modification may change this, letting humans be free of genetic defects such cancer to extent, alzeimer's, sickle-cell blood, birth defects. We could even improve ourselves, making us more resistant to disease, less likely to have chemical imbalances in our brains, make us stronger and fitter and remove excess desires (think hunger) which has led to obesity in the first world.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 37yrs • M •
Ending genetic defects,curing cancer........all that and more right?....Well, that would be the biggest mistake the "basic" human race could make! Why?.because doin all that slows down the process of life...from birth til death....we do that and the population growth rate will rapidly develop. We need diseases to control the human population. And if that happens.....food,water,all of life's necessities will vanish faster ! And making ourselves more inhanced......no....another mistake....look what we can accomplish without inhancemants already....the weapons, the destruction,.....the more power we gain.....the more dangerous we become.

"Knowing the true knowledge of an answer is first understanding the knowledge of the question."
 37yrs • M •
"Why?.because doin all that slows down the process of life...from birth til death....we do that and the population growth rate will rapidly develop."
"the more power we gain.....the more dangerous we become."
First you say you want death to control population growth, then you say we cannot be too powerful otherwise we will cause death.

On population growth : the way to control population is through birth control. The develloped world is the only world who could have access to these life-saving genetic modifications, as it turns out, the develloped world is the one which knows no problem of overpopulation.
Hence, genetic modification will save people from being given malformations and retardation at birth and will have no adverse effect on society because it will only effect the Western world, the one with no problem of population overgrowth.

On power : I'm not talking about splitting an atom and making a big boom. I'm not talking about new ways of killing people. I'm talking about making people stronger, fitter, more resilient to diseas, more sane and freedom from the instincts which have driven the develloped societies into obesity and lack of any will.

37yrs • M •
I understand wut u r talking about but (and neither would i with power) the human race ............take albert einstein for example....e=mc2.....one of the greatest discoveries right??....well guess wut it was used for...the birth of the atomic bomb.!..a single person like u or me knows not of power cuz we have very little...but the human race does...and what ever we create is mainly used for destruction...whether intended or not!

37yrs • M •
I'll have to disagree. Although, yes, we use power for destruction. We cannot and must not halt our efforts against death (genetic diseases) and misery (retardation/malformation/disease) out of fear.
The greatest and most remembered civilizations are those who dared to take power. Those who didn't, we're backward back then and are dead today.

37yrs • M •
Like what civilizations?

37yrs • M •
And those who dared to take power destroyed nothing but themselves

37yrs • M •
Greek culture survived because of metal working and effective military tactics.
Rome was built upon the thinkers which created its military and allowed it to have its culture remembered throughout the known world.
Egypt is remembered primarily through the knowledge (= power) of the expertise it had architecturally. Leading to the building of the pyramids, the greatest legacy of their civilization.
Islam is today a great religion because of the religious fervour and power it gave to the first muslims. The spread of Islam was done in the name of God and necessitated great faith and power.

Societies which were incapable of reaching technological prowess (Germanic tribes during Roman times for insance) have died and their culture forgotten. Native americans, Aborigines, subsaharan Africans have all been crushed to some extent (or to a full extent) come to mind.

Power is necessary for saving lives, progress, preserves culture and allows a nation's survival.

37yrs • M •
"And those who dared to take power destroyed nothing but themselves "
That is true sometimes. What is always true is that a weak society always invariably dies and its culture is forgotten.
Power can save lives.

37yrs • M •
yes yes yes....i agree with you...don't get me wrong...but power for us is to much for us to handle....with it we cause pain and suffering,destruction.......and those other civilizations.......never had as much power as we do today...back then i could care less about power...but today...the advanced technology we have....to much for us to handle. take a look around and really look at our world today....and compare it with that of centuries ago....tell me wut u see

37yrs • M •
I see a third of the world is under liberal democracies. I see that a third of the world no longer lives under "god-graced" Kings and despots. I see that a third of the world lives in obscene wealth and that all of the powerful despotic powers are dead.
I see liberal democracies as the driving force of the world and I see those democracies slowly spreading to the rest of the world.
I also see that we now have the ability for mutual anihilation and I see a century has just passed which knew the 3 greatest conflicts of man (great war, WW2 and cold war). But those threats are dead with the despots who caused them, peace reigns as much as ever, and I believe democracy will spread to the rest in due time.

37yrs • M •
ina ll due time my friend....more is coming than u expected....i have ...uhh...let's say connections.....to military classified files.
within these files are weapons beyond your imagination. More powerful than anything,more advanced than anything,and more demonic than anything. Forget the atomic bombs...these are 100's of more times powerful than those little toys...there's weapons that use sound at super high frequencies that blast a whole right through a titanium steel reinforced 10 foot thick wall from 100's of yards away.....and that's just the beginning!!!

37yrs • M •
"within these files are weapons beyond your imagination. More powerful than anything,more advanced than anything,and more demonic than anything. Forget the atomic bombs...these are 100's of more times powerful than those little toys...there's weapons that use sound at super high frequencies that blast a whole right through a titanium steel reinforced 10 foot thick wall from 100's of yards away.....and that's just the beginning!!!"
No matter, we will never use them. There is a logic to mutually assured destruction, no one dares use theirs because the other one will respond in kind.

Genetic engineering - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy