Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Oscar Wilde
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Money - Page 2

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What does money mean to me?
It is a tool that I use if I have it, if not I will either stop work (on the project) or seek alternatives to fill the need, generally thses actions work simultaneously to an extent.
This attitude arises at least in part from my understanding of the Law of Moses. First man bartered goods and services, the acceptance of various coins of the realm changed perception of life dramatically. In doing so the acclumulation of wealth became an acceptable, even some thing revered as honorable.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Abe Slank is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Money is like the carrot that is dangled in front of a stubborn ass.

46yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Kookiekruncher is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My bill collectors like money and so does my tummy

"Treat everyone as you would want to be treated"
 48yrs • M •
SeeJohn is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
When I looked at studies of human evolution, I noticed something kind of interesting. The term economy is used for issues of food production (earlier it was hunting and gathering, later it was animal and plant breeding). As evolution has occured, the evolution of economy has taken place. Economy now includes all recoures that are used to produce wealth. If we take this general idea of wealth, we could include a lot of items in economy.

Most people think of wealth (or how much money there is) when they think of economic matters. It probably has more to do with how well people are using their resources to balance the demand for them. If this is the case, what would happen when we try to influence demand (ie. commercials). We now have to include demand as a resource within the economy.

People pay with money for the things they desire, but how do they pay for desire itself. What is the thing that keeps demand in check. If it is interest rates, then is an economy based on this circulation a false system.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tangentboy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The root of most of the evil in the world.

The people who do the least amount of good in the world get the most, when the best people get the least.

Take our Queen for example.

She is "Royal" blood, supposedly all English, the figurehead of the nation I live in.

Its the biggest fallacy around.

She is quarter Greek, quarter German, quarter French and quarter English.

And plus she has married out of her country.

She's less English than me, and believe me, thats alot to say.

But enough about blood, what does she actually do ?

Walk around, get flown all over the world, eat delicacies, sit on her backside and wave.

And she gets millions of pounds a year when there are thousands, if not millions starving across the world.

People might say it brings tourism to the English.

Every nation around the world gets tourism.

Americans, Australians, Scottish, Irish, etc, and none of those nations have a royal system.

People may ask, "Well, what are you doing about it ? Shouldn't you do something about it ?"

Well, I do. Believe it or not, I give about 10%-20% of my earnings a year to good causes like The Red Cross, Treatment For Malaria, and Cancer Research, and I believe its the best thing I can do.

But is that really the issue ?

I work hard for my money, and give it to good people, whilst a 60-odd year old woman is getting millions for nothing, is keeping some of the finest jewellry in the world, probably worth even more money, and for what ?

A history of her familys blood drenched past of enslaving foreign countries, subjecting nations to war, and by keeping thousands of innocent and worthy people suffering by keeping herself in the utmost of luxory.

It really is a shame.

"Ég gaf ykkur von varð að vonbrigðum.... Petta er ágætis byrjun"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The root of most of the evil in the world.

The desire for money is the root of all evil, not money itself. Its the assholes that go insane to amass a buch of paper that they cannot take with them to the grave.

I like money alot however to do wrong (evil) to get it is not how it should work.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tangentboy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Nah, i'm not sure I agree with that, its the money that brings the evil out in people. Money = Power, and Power goes straight to any normal humans head. Less Money = Less Evil

My solution is to have no monetary system. A commune where everybody works together and for eachothers good and not their own. They should, however be rewarded for certain high efforts, going out of their way to make something better for someone else, and this is where tokens, or, if you like, money would come into it.

People who help other people should be driving the Lotus's and the Ferrari's, and not the random drug-lords who get a few people high.

"Ég gaf ykkur von varð að vonbrigðum.... Petta er ágætis byrjun"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is money the problem or a society that incourages greed, doing so by the need to aquire that which will sustain life, and the surprisingly strong notion of social status, what else goes into such a strong desire to be number one, to have it all, curiousity, desire, the need to survive, the need to mate, the need to escape personal demons perhaps? What else? the need to impress god?

Cause, why do we want money so bad, even if we have it?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Let's just say, if I had more of it my whole world would change for the better.

46yrs • M
Oh hey, I thought this was a place to like get some money, hmmm, anyone got five bucks?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree that for most of us money is just a tool that we all need. Since we don't use the trade/bartar system anymore, you help me build my barn and I'll teach your daughter to play piano, or whatever.

There are definitely sectors within our society where money = power and can lead to greed and ego but I don't think that it has to be that way. There are a lot of people on the planet doing a lot of good things with the money they do have.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 46yrs • M
Ya, but, I don't know how it is in your society, but it seems here in America its more like a bloodthirsty obsession, like beauty has become here, its getting kinda silly, it past scary some time ago, but its our media, they fucking nuts, all they care about is death and other negative gossip they are starting to finally get caught somewhat for outright lying to us, its really a mess, but people just run with it.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The "sheep" run with it... but I guess that's the majority lately. We're quite pathetic comformists when you thinik about it.

50yrs • F •
It's probably the same in most of the western world. There are always a fraction of the population, fringe dwellers as they have been called, who don't seem to buy into the mass way of thinking. Not so quick to follow the herd. There's gotta be a way to not be a sheep but not be a rebel either. It seems now you're either for the system or against the system. Can't we just be individuals toward a better world without standing against anything?

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
It seems now you're either for the system or against the system. Can't we just be individuals toward a better world without standing against anything?
Perhaps it is because the system has an overwhelming need to fit everyone into its little pigeon hole?
Those (conformist) see anyone who doesn't follow along with the rest of the sheep as taking from the system but not returning to it.
Those individualist see the system as wolfs shearing the sheep & laughtering the lambs.
They both see you as part of the problem or part of the solution dependent upon are you with or against them.
Capitalism is just adament to rule the world as the commies. (terrorist, etc)
Seems the thought of sharing (live & let live) with anyone who chooses to live differently doesn't occur to them.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
Money - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy